Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio announced Tuesday that he has been endorsed by the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association and the Arizona Police Association.
PLEA’s Joe Clure said Arpaio has more experience than his main opponent, 20-year Phoenix police veteran Sgt. Paul Penzone.
“If you put those two candidates side-by-side, clearly the sheriff is the better candidate, both in experience and expertise in the matter of managing a large law enforcement agency” he said. “He has been fantastic to PLEA and to Phoenix police officers. Everything we’ve ever asked of him, he’s provided.”
Arpaio received the endorsements despite allegations that the office has mishandled hundreds of sex cases in El Mirage. Justin Harris of the Arizona Police Association blamed the economy for the sheriff’s department issues.
“In the economy that we’re faced with, law enforcement doesn’t have all of the resources and funding that we require to do every bit of our job as good as we can,” he said. “We take the resources that we have, with the funding that’s available, and we do the absolute best job that we can.”
Arpaio has refused to debate Penzone or independent candidate Mike Stauffer about why he is the best for the job.
“I’ve been around for 20 years, and I think people know who the sheriff is,” said Arpaio.
When pressed for another answer, Arpaio said, “I’m giving the answer. I don’t have to debate the two people running against me. Maybe they can debate themselves and let the public know who they are.”
Arpaio called today’s endorsements “an honor and a privilege.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development