PHOENIX — School districts across Arizona asked for it and Arizona State University is delivering.
Dr. Cory Cooper Hansen of ASU said the school has introduced the state’s only bachelor’s degree program leading to certification in both early childhood education and special education.
“Most children who have special needs are identified in those early childhood years,” said Hansen, an associate professor and early childhood program coordinator. “And the sooner we can get intervention the more effective we can be.”
She said early intervention is particularly effective with language. Speech therapy at a young age is more effective because children’s brains are more receptive and they’re developing language skills.
Hansen said the focus on special education can help all Arizona families.
“So, maybe you have a typically developing child who needs some reinforcement in social skills, let’s say. All the sudden you have a teacher who has studied how to meet a range of social skills development. And, so your child is going to be getting that expertise.”
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development