PHOENIX — School districts across Arizona asked for it and Arizona State University is delivering.
Dr. Cory Cooper Hansen of ASU said the school has introduced the state’s only bachelor’s degree program leading to certification in both early childhood education and special education.
“Most children who have special needs are identified in those early childhood years,” said Hansen, an associate professor and early childhood program coordinator. “And the sooner we can get intervention the more effective we can be.”
She said early intervention is particularly effective with language. Speech therapy at a young age is more effective because children’s brains are more receptive and they’re developing language skills.
Hansen said the focus on special education can help all Arizona families.
“So, maybe you have a typically developing child who needs some reinforcement in social skills, let’s say. All the sudden you have a teacher who has studied how to meet a range of social skills development. And, so your child is going to be getting that expertise.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.