PHOENIX — Business leaders, community leaders, students, solar industry representatives will gather at Arizona State University’s SkySong Tuesday and Wednesday for Arizona Solar Summit III.
Former Arizona Corporation Commissioner Kris Mayes is with ASU and said most Arizonans believe solar energy represents our economic destiny in many ways.
“We have more sun here than any other state in the country and probably any other place on the planet. Arizona trails only California when it comes to solar development and the top spot is in reach,” Mayes said.
“In the past decade we’ve developed great policies like the renewable energy standard to have utilities produce more energy from solar. More people and businesses have put solar panels on the rooftops.”
Arizona still imported some of its energy in 2010 and Mayes said that is money that could be kept in-state and used to create new jobs and projects like the Solana Project near Gila Bend are what Arizona needs to reduce reliance on imported energy.
That facility is expected to create up to 1,700 construction jobs and 85 permanent jobs.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon