PHOENIX — Business leaders, community leaders, students, solar industry representatives will gather at Arizona State University’s SkySong Tuesday and Wednesday for Arizona Solar Summit III.
Former Arizona Corporation Commissioner Kris Mayes is with ASU and said most Arizonans believe solar energy represents our economic destiny in many ways.
“We have more sun here than any other state in the country and probably any other place on the planet. Arizona trails only California when it comes to solar development and the top spot is in reach,” Mayes said.
“In the past decade we’ve developed great policies like the renewable energy standard to have utilities produce more energy from solar. More people and businesses have put solar panels on the rooftops.”
Arizona still imported some of its energy in 2010 and Mayes said that is money that could be kept in-state and used to create new jobs and projects like the Solana Project near Gila Bend are what Arizona needs to reduce reliance on imported energy.
That facility is expected to create up to 1,700 construction jobs and 85 permanent jobs.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever