PHOENIX — Filling up in California means while the gas tank is getting full, a driver’s wallet is being drained.
A short supply of gas caused by refinery problems has led to the spike in California gas prices. Many drivers there are paying nearly $6 a gallon for gas.
“In California, they use a special blend of fuel that’s very difficult to make,” said Fred Rosa, retail pricing director at the Oil Price Information Service. “Only a few refineries can actually make it.”
Rosa said he was surprised the prices went that high.
“We were anticipating prices to go down,” Rosa said. “We are seeing prices go down in a lot of the other parts of the country. When this issue about the refineries in California came up, the wholesale prices there really skyrocketed.
“A lot of the retail prices haven’t caught up. That’s probably the issue there.”
Whether Arizona will see $6 a gallon gas in the Valley anytime soon, Rosa said don’t worry.
“You might see a 10-cent-a-gallon increase over the next couple of weeks, but I wouldn’t expect anything more than that,” Rosa said.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments