PHOENIX — Filling up in California means while the gas tank is getting full, a driver’s wallet is being drained.
A short supply of gas caused by refinery problems has led to the spike in California gas prices. Many drivers there are paying nearly $6 a gallon for gas.
“In California, they use a special blend of fuel that’s very difficult to make,” said Fred Rosa, retail pricing director at the Oil Price Information Service. “Only a few refineries can actually make it.”
Rosa said he was surprised the prices went that high.
“We were anticipating prices to go down,” Rosa said. “We are seeing prices go down in a lot of the other parts of the country. When this issue about the refineries in California came up, the wholesale prices there really skyrocketed.
“A lot of the retail prices haven’t caught up. That’s probably the issue there.”
Whether Arizona will see $6 a gallon gas in the Valley anytime soon, Rosa said don’t worry.
“You might see a 10-cent-a-gallon increase over the next couple of weeks, but I wouldn’t expect anything more than that,” Rosa said.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night