PHOENIX — Filling up in California means while the gas tank is getting full, a driver’s wallet is being drained.
A short supply of gas caused by refinery problems has led to the spike in California gas prices. Many drivers there are paying nearly $6 a gallon for gas.
“In California, they use a special blend of fuel that’s very difficult to make,” said Fred Rosa, retail pricing director at the Oil Price Information Service. “Only a few refineries can actually make it.”
Rosa said he was surprised the prices went that high.
“We were anticipating prices to go down,” Rosa said. “We are seeing prices go down in a lot of the other parts of the country. When this issue about the refineries in California came up, the wholesale prices there really skyrocketed.
“A lot of the retail prices haven’t caught up. That’s probably the issue there.”
Whether Arizona will see $6 a gallon gas in the Valley anytime soon, Rosa said don’t worry.
“You might see a 10-cent-a-gallon increase over the next couple of weeks, but I wouldn’t expect anything more than that,” Rosa said.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy