Two planes collided south of Phoenix on Friday, the Federal Aviation Administration said.
The pilot of a Piper PA28 reported the collision about 2 p.m. He identified the other plane as a Piper Cherokee.
The collision happened about 12 miles southeast of Chandler Airport. Ian Gregor with the FAA said both planes sustained significant damage.
The PA28 landed safely at the Gila River Memorial Airport. The other plane landed at a vehicle test track.
“Speaking from my own personal experience, if I’m responding to a call that they say an aircraft is down, I’m not expecting a plane that hit another plane in midair to be sitting on it’s wheels and everybody doing just fine, so it’s definitely it’s something we’re happy about, but it’s definitely shocking to see it,” said John Shaffer with the Maricopa Fire Department.”
The PA28 is registered to the Chandler Air Service and the other was registered to the Aircraft Guaranty Corp Trustee in Texas.
No injuries have been reported.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night