Two planes collided south of Phoenix on Friday, the Federal Aviation Administration said.
The pilot of a Piper PA28 reported the collision about 2 p.m. He identified the other plane as a Piper Cherokee.
The collision happened about 12 miles southeast of Chandler Airport. Ian Gregor with the FAA said both planes sustained significant damage.
The PA28 landed safely at the Gila River Memorial Airport. The other plane landed at a vehicle test track.
“Speaking from my own personal experience, if I’m responding to a call that they say an aircraft is down, I’m not expecting a plane that hit another plane in midair to be sitting on it’s wheels and everybody doing just fine, so it’s definitely it’s something we’re happy about, but it’s definitely shocking to see it,” said John Shaffer with the Maricopa Fire Department.”
The PA28 is registered to the Chandler Air Service and the other was registered to the Aircraft Guaranty Corp Trustee in Texas.
No injuries have been reported.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever