PHOENIX — Arizona Diamondbacks employees and Valley contractors are lending a hand to give a local shelter a makeover.
Starting Friday and through the weekend, local plumbers, tradesmen and contractors, along with about 50 Diamondbacks employees, will be doing some heavy lifting to revamp the St. Vincent de Paul’s shelter for older adults.
“The Diamondback employees have raised $61,000 through the Home Plate Project,” said Mary Chou-Thompson with the shelter. “They’ll be replacing our flooring, putting in new rugs, carpeting and tiles and new bathrooms.”
Ozanam Manor is located at 1730 E. Monroe St. in Phoenix. Chou-Thompson said the shelter helps people transition from chronic homelessness to self-sufficiency.
“We provide mentorship and counseling, job search and housing search,” she said.
Chou-Thompson said the money was raised by auctioning celebrity home plates, including an autographed plate by Jay Leno and another hand-drawn plate by Twilight star Robert Pattinson.
Leslie Pool Supplies donated $25,000 to kick-start the project.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development