PHOENIX — Arizona Diamondbacks employees and Valley contractors are lending a hand to give a local shelter a makeover.
Starting Friday and through the weekend, local plumbers, tradesmen and contractors, along with about 50 Diamondbacks employees, will be doing some heavy lifting to revamp the St. Vincent de Paul’s shelter for older adults.
“The Diamondback employees have raised $61,000 through the Home Plate Project,” said Mary Chou-Thompson with the shelter. “They’ll be replacing our flooring, putting in new rugs, carpeting and tiles and new bathrooms.”
Ozanam Manor is located at 1730 E. Monroe St. in Phoenix. Chou-Thompson said the shelter helps people transition from chronic homelessness to self-sufficiency.
“We provide mentorship and counseling, job search and housing search,” she said.
Chou-Thompson said the money was raised by auctioning celebrity home plates, including an autographed plate by Jay Leno and another hand-drawn plate by Twilight star Robert Pattinson.
Leslie Pool Supplies donated $25,000 to kick-start the project.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever