After a huge copper theft ring was busted by Arizona Department of Public Safety investigators in southern Arizona, residents are questioning whether metal theft is decreasing in the Valley.
“It’s not getting better,” said Sgt. Theresa Clark with Phoenix Police Metal Theft Unit. “It’s staying the same right now.”
Clark said they have established successful relationships with scrap metal yards, but metal thieves are still finding ways to succeed.
Locally, abandoned or vacant homes are a hot spot for this type of criminal activity.
“Suspects are going in and taking copper out of walls, whether it be pipes or copper wire, they’re taking it all,” said Clark.
Copper thieves also set their sights on residential and commercial air conditioning units, catalytic converters on cars and even bronze vases at cemeteries.
Clark said it’s critical for residents and business owners to be vigilant, secure property and call police if witnessing suspicious activity.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them