After a huge copper theft ring was busted by Arizona Department of Public Safety investigators in southern Arizona, residents are questioning whether metal theft is decreasing in the Valley.
“It’s not getting better,” said Sgt. Theresa Clark with Phoenix Police Metal Theft Unit. “It’s staying the same right now.”
Clark said they have established successful relationships with scrap metal yards, but metal thieves are still finding ways to succeed.
Locally, abandoned or vacant homes are a hot spot for this type of criminal activity.
“Suspects are going in and taking copper out of walls, whether it be pipes or copper wire, they’re taking it all,” said Clark.
Copper thieves also set their sights on residential and commercial air conditioning units, catalytic converters on cars and even bronze vases at cemeteries.
Clark said it’s critical for residents and business owners to be vigilant, secure property and call police if witnessing suspicious activity.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development