After a huge copper theft ring was busted by Arizona Department of Public Safety investigators in southern Arizona, residents are questioning whether metal theft is decreasing in the Valley.
“It’s not getting better,” said Sgt. Theresa Clark with Phoenix Police Metal Theft Unit. “It’s staying the same right now.”
Clark said they have established successful relationships with scrap metal yards, but metal thieves are still finding ways to succeed.
Locally, abandoned or vacant homes are a hot spot for this type of criminal activity.
“Suspects are going in and taking copper out of walls, whether it be pipes or copper wire, they’re taking it all,” said Clark.
Copper thieves also set their sights on residential and commercial air conditioning units, catalytic converters on cars and even bronze vases at cemeteries.
Clark said it’s critical for residents and business owners to be vigilant, secure property and call police if witnessing suspicious activity.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever