As the nation mourns the murder of Border Patrol agent Nicholas Ivie, Arizona Sen. John McCain said he would not be surprised if the suspects, whenever they are apprehended, are involved with drug cartels in some way.
“It wouldn’t surprise me if this was a bunch of drug people who were transporting drugs,” he told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Tuesday.
McCain was very clear in stating that he is not making any assumptions about the suspects, but simply that he would not be stunned to see that they are involved with a cartel, given the area’s notoriety for drug activity.
McCain went on to say that he believes it is a federal responsibility to ensure both the integrity of the border and the safety of its agents and citizens that patrol and live in border regions.
“We still have a very serious problem with drug cartels running drugs up through the mountains of Arizona, being guided by people on the mountains of Arizona, up to Phoenix and distribute [drugs] throughout the country,” he said.
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- Arizona Rep. Kyrsten Sinema: ‘It’s my job’ to attend Trump inauguration
- Arizona. Gov. Doug Ducey to push for teacher raises in upcoming months
- Gov. Doug Ducey: I approve of border wall ‘as long as it benefits Arizona’
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio