The NASCAR Mexico Toyota Series will make it’s United States debut at a March 1 race at Phoenix International Raceway, the organization announced Tuesday.
The race is part of the Subway Fresh Fit NASCAR Sprint Series Weekend at the track.
Arizona-Mexico Commission President Larry Lucero said the event will bring big bucks to the Valley.
“With the two annual races that you already conduct here, the economic impact is nearly a half-billion dollars,” said Lucero. “This is not small potatoes.”
Arizona Congressman Ed Pastor said hopes the race will improve relations between Arizona and Mexico that have deteriorated because of Arizona’s immigration law, SB 1070.
“We do not have the best image in this state,” Pastor said. “Hopefully, the people of Arizona will not only welcome the Mexican drivers and their teams, but also the sports fans that will bring their pesos to the west Valley and also into central Phoenix.”
Two-time World Champion boxer Fernando Vargas will drive the pace car for the race and said he is excited.
“Never in my life have I ever driven a pace car, but do you want to bet that I’m going to drive the hell out of this one!” Vargas told a laughing crowd at Phoenix’ Royal Palms Resort.
The race will be televised in the United States, Mexico, and Latin America.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains