The NASCAR Mexico Toyota Series will make it’s United States debut at a March 1 race at Phoenix International Raceway, the organization announced Tuesday.
The race is part of the Subway Fresh Fit NASCAR Sprint Series Weekend at the track.
Arizona-Mexico Commission President Larry Lucero said the event will bring big bucks to the Valley.
“With the two annual races that you already conduct here, the economic impact is nearly a half-billion dollars,” said Lucero. “This is not small potatoes.”
Arizona Congressman Ed Pastor said hopes the race will improve relations between Arizona and Mexico that have deteriorated because of Arizona’s immigration law, SB 1070.
“We do not have the best image in this state,” Pastor said. “Hopefully, the people of Arizona will not only welcome the Mexican drivers and their teams, but also the sports fans that will bring their pesos to the west Valley and also into central Phoenix.”
Two-time World Champion boxer Fernando Vargas will drive the pace car for the race and said he is excited.
“Never in my life have I ever driven a pace car, but do you want to bet that I’m going to drive the hell out of this one!” Vargas told a laughing crowd at Phoenix’ Royal Palms Resort.
The race will be televised in the United States, Mexico, and Latin America.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon