The NASCAR Mexico Toyota Series will make it’s United States debut at a March 1 race at Phoenix International Raceway, the organization announced Tuesday.
The race is part of the Subway Fresh Fit NASCAR Sprint Series Weekend at the track.
Arizona-Mexico Commission President Larry Lucero said the event will bring big bucks to the Valley.
“With the two annual races that you already conduct here, the economic impact is nearly a half-billion dollars,” said Lucero. “This is not small potatoes.”
Arizona Congressman Ed Pastor said hopes the race will improve relations between Arizona and Mexico that have deteriorated because of Arizona’s immigration law, SB 1070.
“We do not have the best image in this state,” Pastor said. “Hopefully, the people of Arizona will not only welcome the Mexican drivers and their teams, but also the sports fans that will bring their pesos to the west Valley and also into central Phoenix.”
Two-time World Champion boxer Fernando Vargas will drive the pace car for the race and said he is excited.
“Never in my life have I ever driven a pace car, but do you want to bet that I’m going to drive the hell out of this one!” Vargas told a laughing crowd at Phoenix’ Royal Palms Resort.
The race will be televised in the United States, Mexico, and Latin America.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl