PHOENIX — According to the Arizona Department of Weights and Measures, consumers and businesses may have been incorrectly charged for meat and other products at butcher shops.
The agency looked at pricing practices, proper labeling and accuracy and licensing of meat scales at 18 butcher shops in Arizona during July, August and September.
Inspectors checked prices on over 2,000 products and found 4 percent to be incorrect. They also found a 21 percent failure rate on items that didn’t scan at the cash register.
Commercial scales were also tested, in which inspectors found 33 of the 78 scales out of tolerance and under weighed merchandise.
“In many instances, the retail stores themselves had bought the meat from a manufacturer who pre-packaged the merchandise, so the butcher shop may have been shorted as well,” said Weights and Measures director Kevin Tyne.
After store inspections, all scanning and non-priced items had to be fixed within 30 minutes.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy