PHOENIX — According to the Arizona Department of Weights and Measures, consumers and businesses may have been incorrectly charged for meat and other products at butcher shops.
The agency looked at pricing practices, proper labeling and accuracy and licensing of meat scales at 18 butcher shops in Arizona during July, August and September.
Inspectors checked prices on over 2,000 products and found 4 percent to be incorrect. They also found a 21 percent failure rate on items that didn’t scan at the cash register.
Commercial scales were also tested, in which inspectors found 33 of the 78 scales out of tolerance and under weighed merchandise.
“In many instances, the retail stores themselves had bought the meat from a manufacturer who pre-packaged the merchandise, so the butcher shop may have been shorted as well,” said Weights and Measures director Kevin Tyne.
After store inspections, all scanning and non-priced items had to be fixed within 30 minutes.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever