PHOENIX — Another set of quintuplets has been delivered at Banner Desert Medical Center in Mesa.
Meryl Ferraro, 39, delivered three girls and two boys. Ferraro arrived in Mesa from southern California during her 23rd week of pregnancy to receive care from Dr. John Elliott, an internationally recognized expert in multiple births.
Ferraro and her husband said they turned to Elliott after receiving pessimistic reports from other doctors.
After Ferraro underwent emergency surgery during her 17th week, Elliott said he didn’t think all five babies would be delivered.
“There is no way these babies should be here today,” he said. “I don’t use the term loosely, but these babies are miracles.”
The Ferraro babies, Gabrielle, Riley, Addison, Cooper and Emerson, are doing well and should go home within a month.
“I actually lost count,” said Ferraro. “I thought after four we were done, but there was one more.”
Banner Desert Medical Center in Mesa has delivered two sets of out-of-state quintuplets in the past three weeks. A North Carolina couple had quints there Sept. 4.
Elliott has delivered more than 100 sets of quadruplets, 14 sets of quintuplets, and two sets of sextuplets.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees