Hundreds of people made their way to downtown Phoenix Friday afternoon for a special celebration.
For four decades, the Phoenix and Convention Center and Symphony Hall have continually made a positive impact on the local economy, according to information from the city.
“Since 2000, we’ve hosted more than 650 convention events and welcomed nearly two million delegates, providing an economic impact in excess of $2.5 billion to the state and local economy,” the city said.
A festival was held to celebrate the rebirth of downtown Phoenix, in addition to marking the 40th anniversary of both the Phoenix Convention Center and Phoenix Symphony Hall.
“It used to be a ghost town around here with tumbleweeds,” said Julie Kossak, owner of Z Pizza in downtown Phoenix. “Now, there are people out every day. There are ASU students, people riding their bikes, people heading to bars, pub crawl events, so it’s constantly busy.”
Kossak said business has been great as of late.
“Better than I ever expected,” she said.
Local businesses and eateries were on hand to offer free samples and information about their products and services at the festival.
The Phoenix Convention Center opened on Sept. 28, 1972. It was originally called the Phoenix Civic Plaza. Symphony Hall opened the next day.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development