Hundreds of people made their way to downtown Phoenix Friday afternoon for a special celebration.
For four decades, the Phoenix and Convention Center and Symphony Hall have continually made a positive impact on the local economy, according to information from the city.
“Since 2000, we’ve hosted more than 650 convention events and welcomed nearly two million delegates, providing an economic impact in excess of $2.5 billion to the state and local economy,” the city said.
A festival was held to celebrate the rebirth of downtown Phoenix, in addition to marking the 40th anniversary of both the Phoenix Convention Center and Phoenix Symphony Hall.
“It used to be a ghost town around here with tumbleweeds,” said Julie Kossak, owner of Z Pizza in downtown Phoenix. “Now, there are people out every day. There are ASU students, people riding their bikes, people heading to bars, pub crawl events, so it’s constantly busy.”
Kossak said business has been great as of late.
“Better than I ever expected,” she said.
Local businesses and eateries were on hand to offer free samples and information about their products and services at the festival.
The Phoenix Convention Center opened on Sept. 28, 1972. It was originally called the Phoenix Civic Plaza. Symphony Hall opened the next day.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona