Hundreds of people made their way to downtown Phoenix Friday afternoon for a special celebration.
For four decades, the Phoenix and Convention Center and Symphony Hall have continually made a positive impact on the local economy, according to information from the city.
“Since 2000, we’ve hosted more than 650 convention events and welcomed nearly two million delegates, providing an economic impact in excess of $2.5 billion to the state and local economy,” the city said.
A festival was held to celebrate the rebirth of downtown Phoenix, in addition to marking the 40th anniversary of both the Phoenix Convention Center and Phoenix Symphony Hall.
“It used to be a ghost town around here with tumbleweeds,” said Julie Kossak, owner of Z Pizza in downtown Phoenix. “Now, there are people out every day. There are ASU students, people riding their bikes, people heading to bars, pub crawl events, so it’s constantly busy.”
Kossak said business has been great as of late.
“Better than I ever expected,” she said.
Local businesses and eateries were on hand to offer free samples and information about their products and services at the festival.
The Phoenix Convention Center opened on Sept. 28, 1972. It was originally called the Phoenix Civic Plaza. Symphony Hall opened the next day.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them