A car chase involving an alleged carjack came to an end after the suspect apparently shot himself in the head.
The suspect is said to have carjacked a 2008 red Dodge Caliber from a restaurant near 75th Avenue and McDowell Road about 11 a.m. on Friday. He forced two people out of the car.
Marked police cars followed the suspect at a distance. Police also set up a checkpoint near 43rd Avenue and Roosevelt Street. When the suspect spotted the police vehicles, he fired shots at them, striking the cars.
After shooting at police, the suspect then got on Interstate 10 and took an erratic route, according to Fox 10.
The suspect recently entered westbound Interstate 10 from 43rd Avenue and then got off on 83rd Avenue. He did a U-turn, got back on I-10, got off on Estrella Parkway and got back onto I-10.
The suspect drove about 80 miles, reaching speeds of 110 mph, until he exited the freeway and headed down a dirt road. He fired at the police helicopter while being pursued.
The suspect, wearing a black football jersey and black pants, exited the car in a field. He was carrying a gun.
Phoenix Police spokesman Sgt. Tommy Thompson said that after the suspect got out of the car, an officer shot at him but he apparently wasn’t hit. The suspect then ran a short distance into the bushes, stopped and shot himself in the head at approximately 12:30 p.m.
Police believe the suspect attempted to carjack a different vehicle near 77th Avenue and McDowell prior to stealing the other vehicle. The victim of the attempted carjacking called police, leading them to the suspect.
According to police, the suspect has been identified as 33-year-old Jodon F. Romero. He is believed to have had a felony warrant for his arrest for parole violation on a weapons charge. He also may have had another warrant for his arrest. Besides the warrants, he has a criminal record including many violent crimes.
No officers were hurt.
The investigation is still on-going.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon