A car chase involving an alleged carjack came to an end after the suspect apparently shot himself in the head.
The suspect is said to have carjacked a 2008 red Dodge Caliber from a restaurant near 75th Avenue and McDowell Road about 11 a.m. on Friday. He forced two people out of the car.
Marked police cars followed the suspect at a distance. Police also set up a checkpoint near 43rd Avenue and Roosevelt Street. When the suspect spotted the police vehicles, he fired shots at them, striking the cars.
After shooting at police, the suspect then got on Interstate 10 and took an erratic route, according to Fox 10.
The suspect recently entered westbound Interstate 10 from 43rd Avenue and then got off on 83rd Avenue. He did a U-turn, got back on I-10, got off on Estrella Parkway and got back onto I-10.
The suspect drove about 80 miles, reaching speeds of 110 mph, until he exited the freeway and headed down a dirt road. He fired at the police helicopter while being pursued.
The suspect, wearing a black football jersey and black pants, exited the car in a field. He was carrying a gun.
Phoenix Police spokesman Sgt. Tommy Thompson said that after the suspect got out of the car, an officer shot at him but he apparently wasn’t hit. The suspect then ran a short distance into the bushes, stopped and shot himself in the head at approximately 12:30 p.m.
Police believe the suspect attempted to carjack a different vehicle near 77th Avenue and McDowell prior to stealing the other vehicle. The victim of the attempted carjacking called police, leading them to the suspect.
According to police, the suspect has been identified as 33-year-old Jodon F. Romero. He is believed to have had a felony warrant for his arrest for parole violation on a weapons charge. He also may have had another warrant for his arrest. Besides the warrants, he has a criminal record including many violent crimes.
No officers were hurt.
The investigation is still on-going.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths