A car chase involving an alleged carjack came to an end after the suspect apparently shot himself in the head.
The suspect is said to have carjacked a 2008 red Dodge Caliber from a restaurant near 75th Avenue and McDowell Road about 11 a.m. on Friday. He forced two people out of the car.
Marked police cars followed the suspect at a distance. Police also set up a checkpoint near 43rd Avenue and Roosevelt Street. When the suspect spotted the police vehicles, he fired shots at them, striking the cars.
After shooting at police, the suspect then got on Interstate 10 and took an erratic route, according to Fox 10.
The suspect recently entered westbound Interstate 10 from 43rd Avenue and then got off on 83rd Avenue. He did a U-turn, got back on I-10, got off on Estrella Parkway and got back onto I-10.
The suspect drove about 80 miles, reaching speeds of 110 mph, until he exited the freeway and headed down a dirt road. He fired at the police helicopter while being pursued.
The suspect, wearing a black football jersey and black pants, exited the car in a field. He was carrying a gun.
Phoenix Police spokesman Sgt. Tommy Thompson said that after the suspect got out of the car, an officer shot at him but he apparently wasn’t hit. The suspect then ran a short distance into the bushes, stopped and shot himself in the head at approximately 12:30 p.m.
Police believe the suspect attempted to carjack a different vehicle near 77th Avenue and McDowell prior to stealing the other vehicle. The victim of the attempted carjacking called police, leading them to the suspect.
According to police, the suspect has been identified as 33-year-old Jodon F. Romero. He is believed to have had a felony warrant for his arrest for parole violation on a weapons charge. He also may have had another warrant for his arrest. Besides the warrants, he has a criminal record including many violent crimes.
No officers were hurt.
The investigation is still on-going.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl