PHOENIX — They may have two different philosophies, but both Basis Scottsdale and Griffith Elementary in Phoenix are producing similar results.
Newsweek has ranked Basis Scottsdale one of the top 10 schools in the country annually since 2006 and Griffith Elementary earned an “A” rating from the Arizona Department of Education for its spring AIMS test results.
“I really think it speaks to the collaboration among teachers so that we’re improving our own learning which also helps students improve,” Griffith Principal Alexis Wilson said.
Even a decade ago, Griffith was a leader in the Balsz School District, but Wilson said a few years ago they hit a plateau.
“At the time we were using the ‘performing’ and ‘performing-plus’ labels,” Wilson said, “We were performing plus, which was pretty good, but we stayed there for quite a while.”
Griffith’s success can be attributed to new training for teachers, Wilson said.
“We’re really moving teachers out of isolation and into collaboration,” she said. “When you’re in a classroom, it’s you, the four walls and the 25-plus students in the classroom. But we’ve asked teachers to open their doors and share, and that’s where we’ve found a lot of our success.”
Basis Scottsdale knows about success. It’s one of the eight Basis charter schools in the state, producing Ivy League graduates and tests scores that rank near the top in the nation. The Washington Post ranked Basis Scottsdale the “No. 5 Most Challenging High School in the Nation.”
“It’s compulsory for our ninth-grader to take a minimum of one AP exam, our 10th-grader a minimum of two, 11th grade a minimum of three,” Basis Scottsdale Principal John Hillis said.
A combination of the culture, the teachers, and a rigorous curriculum is what sets Basis apart, Hillis said.
Nearly every student who took an AP exam at Basis in 2012 received a three or higher, according to Hillis. One student who took the Mandarin Chinese AP test received a five, the highest possible score.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them