SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — The proposed move of a longtime Valley car dealership is stirring controversy.
After being in business for nearly 50 years at Third Avenue and Indian School Road in Phoenix, the owners of Phoenix Motor Company want to move to Scottsdale.
The Mercedes Benz dealership would take over the Highland Park office building near Scottsdale Road and Highland Avenue in 2014, but not everyone is thrilled with the idea.
“It’s an absolutely inappropriate use for this piece of property,” said Erika Hanson, president of Sarkis Manor Homeowners Association.
Sarkis Manor is adjacent to the property where the dealership would be.
Hanson said Phoenix Motor Company would bring bright lights and 24-hour noise to the area.
“The trucks come in when the traffic is slower,” said Hanson. “Anywhere between one and five in the morning, you’ll have semi-trucks bringing cars into the dealership.”
Hanson said that 60 percent of the residents are against the dealership in the neighborhood, but Jason Rose, a spokesman for Phoenix Motor Company, said that’s not true.
“We have over 90 people who have signed petitions in support,” said Rose. “While there may be a few people who have questions about it, far and away the response has been outstanding to Mercedes relocating to downtown Scottsdale.”
The owners of Phoenix Motor Company plan to meet with potential neighbors on Thursday.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night