SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — The proposed move of a longtime Valley car dealership is stirring controversy.
After being in business for nearly 50 years at Third Avenue and Indian School Road in Phoenix, the owners of Phoenix Motor Company want to move to Scottsdale.
The Mercedes Benz dealership would take over the Highland Park office building near Scottsdale Road and Highland Avenue in 2014, but not everyone is thrilled with the idea.
“It’s an absolutely inappropriate use for this piece of property,” said Erika Hanson, president of Sarkis Manor Homeowners Association.
Sarkis Manor is adjacent to the property where the dealership would be.
Hanson said Phoenix Motor Company would bring bright lights and 24-hour noise to the area.
“The trucks come in when the traffic is slower,” said Hanson. “Anywhere between one and five in the morning, you’ll have semi-trucks bringing cars into the dealership.”
Hanson said that 60 percent of the residents are against the dealership in the neighborhood, but Jason Rose, a spokesman for Phoenix Motor Company, said that’s not true.
“We have over 90 people who have signed petitions in support,” said Rose. “While there may be a few people who have questions about it, far and away the response has been outstanding to Mercedes relocating to downtown Scottsdale.”
The owners of Phoenix Motor Company plan to meet with potential neighbors on Thursday.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever