SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — The proposed move of a longtime Valley car dealership is stirring controversy.
After being in business for nearly 50 years at Third Avenue and Indian School Road in Phoenix, the owners of Phoenix Motor Company want to move to Scottsdale.
The Mercedes Benz dealership would take over the Highland Park office building near Scottsdale Road and Highland Avenue in 2014, but not everyone is thrilled with the idea.
“It’s an absolutely inappropriate use for this piece of property,” said Erika Hanson, president of Sarkis Manor Homeowners Association.
Sarkis Manor is adjacent to the property where the dealership would be.
Hanson said Phoenix Motor Company would bring bright lights and 24-hour noise to the area.
“The trucks come in when the traffic is slower,” said Hanson. “Anywhere between one and five in the morning, you’ll have semi-trucks bringing cars into the dealership.”
Hanson said that 60 percent of the residents are against the dealership in the neighborhood, but Jason Rose, a spokesman for Phoenix Motor Company, said that’s not true.
“We have over 90 people who have signed petitions in support,” said Rose. “While there may be a few people who have questions about it, far and away the response has been outstanding to Mercedes relocating to downtown Scottsdale.”
The owners of Phoenix Motor Company plan to meet with potential neighbors on Thursday.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon