PHOENIX — A split-second decision led a Mesa police officer to fatally shoot a dog inside a retail store Monday night.
Officers had responded to the Target at Longmore Road and Southern Avenue after a man, identified as Samkeith Jahveh Jurden, had been asked to leave the store and refused.
When police arrived, Jurden was sitting in an aisle dressed only in swim-type shorts and black socks. He was talking on the phone to an unidentified person and was asking that person to put his grandmother on the phone to pray with him.
Officers attempted to take Jurden into custody twice. During one attempt, he allegedly bit an officer on the arm.
The Jurden had a dog and unleashed it on police when they attempted to arrest him. The dog bit an officer in the arm and was shot.
Jurden was tased several times.
A witness said the dog had also bit another person near an apartment complex where Jurden spent time.
The officer was treated and released from a hospital.
Jurden was charged with two counts of aggravated assault, one count of resisting arrest, one count of disorderly conduct, one count of trespassing and one count off assault with a vicious animal.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever