PHOENIX — A split-second decision led a Mesa police officer to fatally shoot a dog inside a retail store Monday night.
Officers had responded to the Target at Longmore Road and Southern Avenue after a man, identified as Samkeith Jahveh Jurden, had been asked to leave the store and refused.
When police arrived, Jurden was sitting in an aisle dressed only in swim-type shorts and black socks. He was talking on the phone to an unidentified person and was asking that person to put his grandmother on the phone to pray with him.
Officers attempted to take Jurden into custody twice. During one attempt, he allegedly bit an officer on the arm.
The Jurden had a dog and unleashed it on police when they attempted to arrest him. The dog bit an officer in the arm and was shot.
Jurden was tased several times.
A witness said the dog had also bit another person near an apartment complex where Jurden spent time.
The officer was treated and released from a hospital.
Jurden was charged with two counts of aggravated assault, one count of resisting arrest, one count of disorderly conduct, one count of trespassing and one count off assault with a vicious animal.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development