PHOENIX — University of Southern California doctors said one in 10 children get asthma because they live near busy city streets and freeways.
The study focused on the effect of pollution on children in the Los Angeles area but found metro areas with large numbers of kids living near heavy traffic are also at risk because of pollution from cars, buses, etc.
The results don’t surprise Dr. Kelvin Panesar, director of pediatric pulmonology for Banner Health. He said he’s seeing more younger patients with asthma.
“Whether that’s traffic and particulate matter from pollution or exposure to dust you’ll be more likely to develop asthma symptoms. Inner city with high traffic you don’t have a lot of fresh air to breathe,” Panesar said.
As far as protecting children from the harmful effects of pollution he said keep the kids indoors during the warmest times of the day and to spend outdoor time early in the morning and late afternoon.
Arizona Asthma Coalition said 8 percent of all of the state’s schoolchildren have asthma.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night