PHOENIX — University of Southern California doctors said one in 10 children get asthma because they live near busy city streets and freeways.
The study focused on the effect of pollution on children in the Los Angeles area but found metro areas with large numbers of kids living near heavy traffic are also at risk because of pollution from cars, buses, etc.
The results don’t surprise Dr. Kelvin Panesar, director of pediatric pulmonology for Banner Health. He said he’s seeing more younger patients with asthma.
“Whether that’s traffic and particulate matter from pollution or exposure to dust you’ll be more likely to develop asthma symptoms. Inner city with high traffic you don’t have a lot of fresh air to breathe,” Panesar said.
As far as protecting children from the harmful effects of pollution he said keep the kids indoors during the warmest times of the day and to spend outdoor time early in the morning and late afternoon.
Arizona Asthma Coalition said 8 percent of all of the state’s schoolchildren have asthma.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier