Arizona will be using $57 million from a major mortgage settlement to help struggling homeowners keep their homes, Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne said.
“You may have people who bought responsibly and then they experienced economic setbacks that were not their fault and they can still make payments, but they can’t make the full payment,” he said. “By helping them out, we can keep them in their homes, the mortgage holder is better off. Sometimes getting paid less than the full amount is better than proceeding with a foreclosure.”
Horne said $41 million will go directly to help homeowners. The rest of the funds will be used for enforcement, counseling, legal and outreach programs.
Some funds will also be used to support non-profit mortgage assistance groups and veteran housing.
In total, Arizona netted about $3.5 billion. The rest of the money will be administered by banks.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food