When you look at the education rankings, Arizona doesn’t do well. We are in the bottom five in the United States consistently.
More funding doesn’t lead to better results.
Katherine Mangu-Ward, managing editor from Reason magazine, where she covers education, talked to News/Talk 92.3 Bruce St. James on Monday for their “Eyes on Education” series.
According to Mangu-Ward, money isn’t the problem.
“In many states, the unions are the problem,” said Mangu-Ward. “Unfortunately, what we have confused in this country in particular is doing right by teachers or letting those unions have control over the education process.”
Mangu-Ward also asked the question about when is better to have kids watch lectures online rather than hire a mediocre or worse teacher and stick that person in front of students.
Maybe technology will help our way out of this problem.
If money was the only problem, our kids would be twice as smart as they were 30 years ago, but they’re not. And we’re spending twice as much money.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food