When you look at the education rankings, Arizona doesn’t do well. We are in the bottom five in the United States consistently.
More funding doesn’t lead to better results.
Katherine Mangu-Ward, managing editor from Reason magazine, where she covers education, talked to News/Talk 92.3 Bruce St. James on Monday for their “Eyes on Education” series.
According to Mangu-Ward, money isn’t the problem.
“In many states, the unions are the problem,” said Mangu-Ward. “Unfortunately, what we have confused in this country in particular is doing right by teachers or letting those unions have control over the education process.”
Mangu-Ward also asked the question about when is better to have kids watch lectures online rather than hire a mediocre or worse teacher and stick that person in front of students.
Maybe technology will help our way out of this problem.
If money was the only problem, our kids would be twice as smart as they were 30 years ago, but they’re not. And we’re spending twice as much money.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night