When you look at the education rankings, Arizona doesn’t do well. We are in the bottom five in the United States consistently.
More funding doesn’t lead to better results.
Katherine Mangu-Ward, managing editor from Reason magazine, where she covers education, talked to News/Talk 92.3 Bruce St. James on Monday for their “Eyes on Education” series.
According to Mangu-Ward, money isn’t the problem.
“In many states, the unions are the problem,” said Mangu-Ward. “Unfortunately, what we have confused in this country in particular is doing right by teachers or letting those unions have control over the education process.”
Mangu-Ward also asked the question about when is better to have kids watch lectures online rather than hire a mediocre or worse teacher and stick that person in front of students.
Maybe technology will help our way out of this problem.
If money was the only problem, our kids would be twice as smart as they were 30 years ago, but they’re not. And we’re spending twice as much money.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona