When you look at the education rankings, Arizona doesn’t do well. We are in the bottom five in the United States consistently.
More funding doesn’t lead to better results.
Katherine Mangu-Ward, managing editor from Reason magazine, where she covers education, talked to News/Talk 92.3 Bruce St. James on Monday for their “Eyes on Education” series.
According to Mangu-Ward, money isn’t the problem.
“In many states, the unions are the problem,” said Mangu-Ward. “Unfortunately, what we have confused in this country in particular is doing right by teachers or letting those unions have control over the education process.”
Mangu-Ward also asked the question about when is better to have kids watch lectures online rather than hire a mediocre or worse teacher and stick that person in front of students.
Maybe technology will help our way out of this problem.
If money was the only problem, our kids would be twice as smart as they were 30 years ago, but they’re not. And we’re spending twice as much money.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain