PHOENIX — Competition to get your child in the classroom is fierce. More kids in the classroom means more money for the school districts.
Craig Pletenik, a spokesman with Phoenix Union High School District said, “Every school’s funding is based on enrollment. A student generates $5k for a school district. You know that’s money that’s going to support school programs, it’s going to support teachers.”
Pletenik said charter schools have larger advertising budgets that allow them to advertise to kids through sophisticated ad campaigns, but public schools can’t afford that luxury.
“As much as you’d like to hope you can advertise on the televison, radio and in theaters and every other way, it’s really person-to-person and word of mouth,” said Pletenik.
Districts even lean on existing students in making the pitch to attract new ones.
“We try to get our kids out to the elementary schools so that they can relate to the kids so they can say ‘That guy’s got a uniform, he’s in Junior ROTC. That kid’s on the football team. I’d like to play on that team,’ ” said Pletenik.
Pletenik said kids face more decisions about their education than in years past and it’s important they make informed choices.
“There are a lot of decisions that kids can make when they become 14 years old. That’s one of the reasons we’ve tried to market to sixth- seventh- and eighth- graders.”
With open enrollment a child can choose a specific sports team, take a cooking class, or even learn how to fly an airplane.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food