SCOTTSDALE — College women throughout the Valley are a little more nervous this weekend.
A convicted sex offender with an extensive history of sexually assaulting girls is on the loose.
Authorities are trying to track down the man, identified as Brian K. Downing.
Officers told ABC15 that police departments not just in Arizona, but across the country, have no idea where he is.
There are concerns Downing could show up at Scottsdale Community College or any of the many colleges around the Valley.
It’s not believed police have a warrant for his arrest, but Downing has not checked in with authorities and his whereabouts are unknown.
In the past, police say Downing was found guilty of sexually assaulting three random women in Arizona.
He then moved to Oregon, where he sexually assaulted two more victims, including a 16-year-old girl.
Investigators say Downing’s history of repeated sexual assaults makes him very dangerous.
He is not allowed on college campuses, and female students are wondering what more their schools can do to protect them.
“What can the school do to protect us, because we do get out pretty late here and it is pretty dark,” wondered student Breeann Harger. “There are lights, but they obviously don’t help.”
Anyone with information on Downing is encouraged to contact police immediately.
Story written by Patrick Lancaster of ABC15
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever