SCOTTSDALE — College women throughout the Valley are a little more nervous this weekend.
A convicted sex offender with an extensive history of sexually assaulting girls is on the loose.
Authorities are trying to track down the man, identified as Brian K. Downing.
Officers told ABC15 that police departments not just in Arizona, but across the country, have no idea where he is.
There are concerns Downing could show up at Scottsdale Community College or any of the many colleges around the Valley.
It’s not believed police have a warrant for his arrest, but Downing has not checked in with authorities and his whereabouts are unknown.
In the past, police say Downing was found guilty of sexually assaulting three random women in Arizona.
He then moved to Oregon, where he sexually assaulted two more victims, including a 16-year-old girl.
Investigators say Downing’s history of repeated sexual assaults makes him very dangerous.
He is not allowed on college campuses, and female students are wondering what more their schools can do to protect them.
“What can the school do to protect us, because we do get out pretty late here and it is pretty dark,” wondered student Breeann Harger. “There are lights, but they obviously don’t help.”
Anyone with information on Downing is encouraged to contact police immediately.
Story written by Patrick Lancaster of ABC15
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development