SCOTTSDALE — College women throughout the Valley are a little more nervous this weekend.
A convicted sex offender with an extensive history of sexually assaulting girls is on the loose.
Authorities are trying to track down the man, identified as Brian K. Downing.
Officers told ABC15 that police departments not just in Arizona, but across the country, have no idea where he is.
There are concerns Downing could show up at Scottsdale Community College or any of the many colleges around the Valley.
It’s not believed police have a warrant for his arrest, but Downing has not checked in with authorities and his whereabouts are unknown.
In the past, police say Downing was found guilty of sexually assaulting three random women in Arizona.
He then moved to Oregon, where he sexually assaulted two more victims, including a 16-year-old girl.
Investigators say Downing’s history of repeated sexual assaults makes him very dangerous.
He is not allowed on college campuses, and female students are wondering what more their schools can do to protect them.
“What can the school do to protect us, because we do get out pretty late here and it is pretty dark,” wondered student Breeann Harger. “There are lights, but they obviously don’t help.”
Anyone with information on Downing is encouraged to contact police immediately.
Story written by Patrick Lancaster of ABC15
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy