SCOTTSDALE — College women throughout the Valley are a little more nervous this weekend.
A convicted sex offender with an extensive history of sexually assaulting girls is on the loose.
Authorities are trying to track down the man, identified as Brian K. Downing.
Officers told ABC15 that police departments not just in Arizona, but across the country, have no idea where he is.
There are concerns Downing could show up at Scottsdale Community College or any of the many colleges around the Valley.
It’s not believed police have a warrant for his arrest, but Downing has not checked in with authorities and his whereabouts are unknown.
In the past, police say Downing was found guilty of sexually assaulting three random women in Arizona.
He then moved to Oregon, where he sexually assaulted two more victims, including a 16-year-old girl.
Investigators say Downing’s history of repeated sexual assaults makes him very dangerous.
He is not allowed on college campuses, and female students are wondering what more their schools can do to protect them.
“What can the school do to protect us, because we do get out pretty late here and it is pretty dark,” wondered student Breeann Harger. “There are lights, but they obviously don’t help.”
Anyone with information on Downing is encouraged to contact police immediately.
Story written by Patrick Lancaster of ABC15
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes