TEMPE, Ariz. — Schools are facing new rules from the government when it comes to the lunches they serve.
“One of them is that a student must leave the line with a fruit or vegetable,” said Linda Rider, Director of Nutrition Services for the Tempe Elementary School District. “A half of a cup of something on their tray.”
But just because it’s on their tray, doesn’t mean the kids will eat it. That’s why the Tempe district is working with chefs from the Washington-based Experience Food Project to provide tastier, healthier food at school.
The district has been having kids taste-test the food. Rider said the goal is start by blending in side dishes to go along with hot dogs and other kid favorites.
“We created a recipe last year, on our own, that is Southwest Black-Eyed peas,” Rider said. “It’s black-eyed peas that we received from USDA foods. We added fresh cilantro, onions and your traditional southwestern flavors. We serve those now on a regular basis.”
The kids’ taste test is an important part of the process. “We’ve certainly learned that if kids become familiar with the food by tasting it, they’ll be much more likely to eat it when we serve it because they’ve already experienced it,” said Rider.
Rider said the peas and the district’s quesadillas appear to be a hit.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier