Arizona is a people magnet.
The population of the state rises more then 1 percent annually, with new families clamoring for schools that are as good as the weather.
Some parents said their child’s school makes them glad they made the move, but national assessments still show that Arizona is below the national average in reading scores.
Terri Conrad, who has led full-day kindergarten in Arizona and Texas and half-day kindergarten in Utah said the full day students really have an advantage.
“They’re getting more hands on,” she said. “They’re getting longer instruction time. Let’s say language arts is 90 minutes versus 60 minutes.”
Conrad said it would negatively benefit the state if funding cuts restricted full-day kindergarten.
“We never touched science when I was in Utah. We didn’t have time. It’s part of the core, we just didn’t have time for it.”
If there’s a conversation where the nation picks on Arizona, it’s money. Carolyn Werner is a consultant that works with Fortune 500 companies on education. The former Arizona Superintendent of Public Instruction said other states don’t look to Arizona as a funding model.
“Our students are at the very low end of the amount of money that is spent to educate them each year. I think Mississippi is beneath us. That’s it.”
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development