Arizona is a people magnet.
The population of the state rises more then 1 percent annually, with new families clamoring for schools that are as good as the weather.
Some parents said their child’s school makes them glad they made the move, but national assessments still show that Arizona is below the national average in reading scores.
Terri Conrad, who has led full-day kindergarten in Arizona and Texas and half-day kindergarten in Utah said the full day students really have an advantage.
“They’re getting more hands on,” she said. “They’re getting longer instruction time. Let’s say language arts is 90 minutes versus 60 minutes.”
Conrad said it would negatively benefit the state if funding cuts restricted full-day kindergarten.
“We never touched science when I was in Utah. We didn’t have time. It’s part of the core, we just didn’t have time for it.”
If there’s a conversation where the nation picks on Arizona, it’s money. Carolyn Werner is a consultant that works with Fortune 500 companies on education. The former Arizona Superintendent of Public Instruction said other states don’t look to Arizona as a funding model.
“Our students are at the very low end of the amount of money that is spent to educate them each year. I think Mississippi is beneath us. That’s it.”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets