Arizona is a people magnet.
The population of the state rises more then 1 percent annually, with new families clamoring for schools that are as good as the weather.
Some parents said their child’s school makes them glad they made the move, but national assessments still show that Arizona is below the national average in reading scores.
Terri Conrad, who has led full-day kindergarten in Arizona and Texas and half-day kindergarten in Utah said the full day students really have an advantage.
“They’re getting more hands on,” she said. “They’re getting longer instruction time. Let’s say language arts is 90 minutes versus 60 minutes.”
Conrad said it would negatively benefit the state if funding cuts restricted full-day kindergarten.
“We never touched science when I was in Utah. We didn’t have time. It’s part of the core, we just didn’t have time for it.”
If there’s a conversation where the nation picks on Arizona, it’s money. Carolyn Werner is a consultant that works with Fortune 500 companies on education. The former Arizona Superintendent of Public Instruction said other states don’t look to Arizona as a funding model.
“Our students are at the very low end of the amount of money that is spent to educate them each year. I think Mississippi is beneath us. That’s it.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night