Most Arizona parents said they do not feel their children are being challenged enough in school, nor does the educational environment transform them into knowledgeable adults.
“Three out of four fourth-graders in Arizona cannot read proficiently,” said Dana Naimark with the Children’s Action Alliance. “Only four states score worse than we do.”
Reading at the appropriate level is important, as it is a gauge of how students will do in the future.
“When we look at the overall trends of the test scores and the other outcomes — the graduation rates and the success that students have in critical thinking — we know that we’re not meeting our own expectations so there’s a lot of room for improvement.”
Naimark said that Arizona has seen the highest cuts to education in the country and the lost funding does matter when it comes to nearly every facet of giving children a proper education.
“They have larger class sizes. They have less technology in the classroom. They have a shortage of things like books, computers, desks,” she said. “Things that are really detrimental to the outcomes we all want.”
However, Jonathan Butcher, an education expert from the Goldwater Institute, said there is no direct link between increased spending and higher achievement, but feels the state has worked to improve low test scores.
“Generally speaking, the traditional public schools in Arizona, our average scores tend to be near the bottom around the country when it comes to things like math and reading,” he said. “Having said that, we also have some of the highest performing schools in the entire country.”
Butcher said Arizona has led the country in education innovations, like an online school report card.
Both experts agreed the state has been better at holding schools, teachers and students more accountable, which is good for a child’s chances at success.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon