Immigrations and Customs Enforcement refused to take into custody two suspected illegal immigrants on Thursday, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said in a release.
Five suspected illegal aliens were found in the desert by MCSO deputies and were found to be Mexican nationals after an interview process.
MCSO was unable to get enough evidence to charge two of the men with human smuggling and attempted to turn them over to ICE, as has been custom for about six years. However, ICE refused to take the suspects after questioning them.
“These suspects are clearly recent border crossers,” said Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio in the release. “ICE’s refusal to accept the suspects for possible deportation suggests ICE is ignoring their own policy.”
The two suspects were then turned over to Border Patrol, per Arpaio’s backup plan should ICE not accept suspects.
The other three members of the group identified themselves as illegal immigrants and said they had paid $1,000 each to be smuggled into the United States. Those three were booked in the Fourth Avenue Jail.
Arpaio said he plans to meet with ICE officials to be sure a similar situation does not happen again.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets