Immigrations and Customs Enforcement refused to take into custody two suspected illegal immigrants on Thursday, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said in a release.
Five suspected illegal aliens were found in the desert by MCSO deputies and were found to be Mexican nationals after an interview process.
MCSO was unable to get enough evidence to charge two of the men with human smuggling and attempted to turn them over to ICE, as has been custom for about six years. However, ICE refused to take the suspects after questioning them.
“These suspects are clearly recent border crossers,” said Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio in the release. “ICE’s refusal to accept the suspects for possible deportation suggests ICE is ignoring their own policy.”
The two suspects were then turned over to Border Patrol, per Arpaio’s backup plan should ICE not accept suspects.
The other three members of the group identified themselves as illegal immigrants and said they had paid $1,000 each to be smuggled into the United States. Those three were booked in the Fourth Avenue Jail.
Arpaio said he plans to meet with ICE officials to be sure a similar situation does not happen again.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona