Two men who saved the life of a 3-year-old Glendale boy were hailed as heroes by the city on Wednesday.
The two men, Gene Lofton and John Peralta were recognized during a ceremony at Glendale Police Headquarters.
On Sept. 11, the two co-workers spotted Seth Gray in the pool as they made their rounds at the Ridgepoint Apartments where they work.
“I looked into the pool, and I saw Seth face down,” said Lofton. “I just jumped in and pulled him out. John hopped over the fence and started doing CPR. That was it.”
Seth told reporters that he went into the pool to get his Toy Story Woody doll.
“Woody was in the pool, so I was trying to save him,” said Seth.
Brittany Elizabeth Gray, Seth’s mother, said the family had only been living in the apartment for two days. Seth and his younger brother slipped out of the apartment while she was taking a nap with her kids.
“The gate to the pool was open, so they went in,” said Gray. “They dropped his Woody doll into the pool, so he went in to get his younger brother out.”
After the brother was out of the pool, Gray said Seth went back into the pool after the doll.
“That’s when he got scared, and that’s when they found him,” she said.
Gray, whose husband is in the military and deployed overseas, said she is grateful for Lofton and Peralta.
“There’s not enough words in the dictionary to express how our family feels in gratitude,” said Gray. “There’s nothing we could ever do, but we’re eternally grateful.”
Police said there is a chance that Gray may be charged with neglect.
Gray said she’s been told that she could face charges and has hired an attorney.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier