Two men who saved the life of a 3-year-old Glendale boy were hailed as heroes by the city on Wednesday.
The two men, Gene Lofton and John Peralta were recognized during a ceremony at Glendale Police Headquarters.
On Sept. 11, the two co-workers spotted Seth Gray in the pool as they made their rounds at the Ridgepoint Apartments where they work.
“I looked into the pool, and I saw Seth face down,” said Lofton. “I just jumped in and pulled him out. John hopped over the fence and started doing CPR. That was it.”
Seth told reporters that he went into the pool to get his Toy Story Woody doll.
“Woody was in the pool, so I was trying to save him,” said Seth.
Brittany Elizabeth Gray, Seth’s mother, said the family had only been living in the apartment for two days. Seth and his younger brother slipped out of the apartment while she was taking a nap with her kids.
“The gate to the pool was open, so they went in,” said Gray. “They dropped his Woody doll into the pool, so he went in to get his younger brother out.”
After the brother was out of the pool, Gray said Seth went back into the pool after the doll.
“That’s when he got scared, and that’s when they found him,” she said.
Gray, whose husband is in the military and deployed overseas, said she is grateful for Lofton and Peralta.
“There’s not enough words in the dictionary to express how our family feels in gratitude,” said Gray. “There’s nothing we could ever do, but we’re eternally grateful.”
Police said there is a chance that Gray may be charged with neglect.
Gray said she’s been told that she could face charges and has hired an attorney.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon