In its new list of the 400 wealthiest Americans, Forbes announced five people come from Arizona.
No. 92 Bruce Halle, No. 250 Bennett Dorrance, No. 311 Bob Parsons, No. 388 Peter Sperling and No. 392 Arturo Moreno all made the list.
Halle, 82, who has a net worth of $4 billion is from Paradise Valley. He opened his first tire store over 50 years ago. Halle’s Discount Tire is now the world’s largest independent tire and wheel retailer, according to Forbes.
Dorrance, 66, also a Paradise Valley resident is the grandson of Campbell Soup founder John T. Dorrance. He and his fellow billionaire sister Mary Alice Dorrance Malone sit on the board of Campbell Soup. His net worth is at $1.9 billion.
Parsons, 61, a Scottsdale resident, has a net worth of $1.5 billion. He is the founder of the web hosting company Go Daddy. Parsons sold the majority of the company in 2011, but is still the largest shareholder and executive chairman of the company.
Sperling, 52, is the youngest of the Arizona residents who made the list. The Phoenix resident has a net worth of $1.15 billion from joining Apollo Group, which his father started. Sperling has cashed out over the years by selling some of his shares of Apollo, which has 400,000 students taking classes.
The last Arizonan to make the list, Moreno, 66 is also from Phoenix and has a net worth of $1.1 billion. He is the owner of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim baseball team.
Forbes reported that the 400 richest Americans have a combined net worth of $1.7 trillion. Bill Gates sits at the No. 1 spot, with a net worth of $66 billion.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona