In its new list of the 400 wealthiest Americans, Forbes announced five people come from Arizona.
No. 92 Bruce Halle, No. 250 Bennett Dorrance, No. 311 Bob Parsons, No. 388 Peter Sperling and No. 392 Arturo Moreno all made the list.
Halle, 82, who has a net worth of $4 billion is from Paradise Valley. He opened his first tire store over 50 years ago. Halle’s Discount Tire is now the world’s largest independent tire and wheel retailer, according to Forbes.
Dorrance, 66, also a Paradise Valley resident is the grandson of Campbell Soup founder John T. Dorrance. He and his fellow billionaire sister Mary Alice Dorrance Malone sit on the board of Campbell Soup. His net worth is at $1.9 billion.
Parsons, 61, a Scottsdale resident, has a net worth of $1.5 billion. He is the founder of the web hosting company Go Daddy. Parsons sold the majority of the company in 2011, but is still the largest shareholder and executive chairman of the company.
Sperling, 52, is the youngest of the Arizona residents who made the list. The Phoenix resident has a net worth of $1.15 billion from joining Apollo Group, which his father started. Sperling has cashed out over the years by selling some of his shares of Apollo, which has 400,000 students taking classes.
The last Arizonan to make the list, Moreno, 66 is also from Phoenix and has a net worth of $1.1 billion. He is the owner of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim baseball team.
Forbes reported that the 400 richest Americans have a combined net worth of $1.7 trillion. Bill Gates sits at the No. 1 spot, with a net worth of $66 billion.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life