PHOENIX — Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kevin Kolb lost his starting job before the season kicked off but has led the team to a pair of big wins, including Sunday’s upset of the New England Patriots.
Stephenville, Texas Athletic Director Joseph Gillespie helped coached Kolb in high school and said ‘character’ best described Kolb then and now.
“He’s always saying ‘I’m the one that has to put us in position to win ballgames and if I fail to do that it comes back on me.’
“He’s a leader in the locker room as a starter or not. What you see is what you get and he will be the same man all the time,” said Gillespie.
When quarterback John Skelton was hurt in the season-opener against the Seattle Seahawks, Kolb came off the bench and marched the team to victory. Then helped lead past the Patriots on the road.
Gillespie said losing the starting job before the season opener is not the first time Kolb has faced adversity.
“Not the first time down this road where he’s backed into a corner. When his character is tested Kevin always comes out with flying colors.”
Kolb figures to start Sunday when the Cardinals host his former team, the Philadelphia Eagles.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development