PHOENIX — Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kevin Kolb lost his starting job before the season kicked off but has led the team to a pair of big wins, including Sunday’s upset of the New England Patriots.
Stephenville, Texas Athletic Director Joseph Gillespie helped coached Kolb in high school and said ‘character’ best described Kolb then and now.
“He’s always saying ‘I’m the one that has to put us in position to win ballgames and if I fail to do that it comes back on me.’
“He’s a leader in the locker room as a starter or not. What you see is what you get and he will be the same man all the time,” said Gillespie.
When quarterback John Skelton was hurt in the season-opener against the Seattle Seahawks, Kolb came off the bench and marched the team to victory. Then helped lead past the Patriots on the road.
Gillespie said losing the starting job before the season opener is not the first time Kolb has faced adversity.
“Not the first time down this road where he’s backed into a corner. When his character is tested Kevin always comes out with flying colors.”
Kolb figures to start Sunday when the Cardinals host his former team, the Philadelphia Eagles.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona