Four people are behind bars after numerous law enforcement agents worked together to bust an alleged cannabis candy drug syndicate.
According to a release, the syndicate was producing and selling candies and treats that included cannabis as an ingredient. The food items were sold on the Internet, through word-of-mouth deals and in select business in Prescott and Phoenix.
“Suckers, brownies, ice cream and other items,” said Dwight D’Evelyn with the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office. “It is illegal, currently, to sell these items for profit, even to a medical marijuana cardholder.”
Law enforcement discovered the syndicate after finding traces of the production of the candies in a Phoenix kitchen.
On Sept. 12 and Sept. 13, authorities served search warrants at 10 locations, both businesses and private homes, in Yavapai and Maricopa Counties. The warrants resulted in the arrests of four suspects and the seizure of over 20 pounds of marijuana, hundreds of products containing marijuana, some firearms, a few vehicles and about $70,000 in cash.
Chris Martin, one of the men arrested, was identified as the “chef” responsible for creating the contraband candies. He is facing numerous drug charges and is being held on $270,000 bail.
Two other suspects, Todd James and Christopher Goodrich, were charged with numerous drug charges and leading an organized crime operation.
The final suspect, Andrea Martin, faces two drug charges and was released on her own recognizance.
More charges and arrests are expected in the case.
The investigation was conducted by the Partners Against Narcotics Trafficking in cooperation with the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office, Prescott Valley Police Department, Prescott Police Department, Chino Valley Police Department, Yavapai and Maricopa County
Attorney’s Office and the Phoenix Police Department.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them