Four people are behind bars after numerous law enforcement agents worked together to bust an alleged cannabis candy drug syndicate.
According to a release, the syndicate was producing and selling candies and treats that included cannabis as an ingredient. The food items were sold on the Internet, through word-of-mouth deals and in select business in Prescott and Phoenix.
“Suckers, brownies, ice cream and other items,” said Dwight D’Evelyn with the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office. “It is illegal, currently, to sell these items for profit, even to a medical marijuana cardholder.”
Law enforcement discovered the syndicate after finding traces of the production of the candies in a Phoenix kitchen.
On Sept. 12 and Sept. 13, authorities served search warrants at 10 locations, both businesses and private homes, in Yavapai and Maricopa Counties. The warrants resulted in the arrests of four suspects and the seizure of over 20 pounds of marijuana, hundreds of products containing marijuana, some firearms, a few vehicles and about $70,000 in cash.
Chris Martin, one of the men arrested, was identified as the “chef” responsible for creating the contraband candies. He is facing numerous drug charges and is being held on $270,000 bail.
Two other suspects, Todd James and Christopher Goodrich, were charged with numerous drug charges and leading an organized crime operation.
The final suspect, Andrea Martin, faces two drug charges and was released on her own recognizance.
More charges and arrests are expected in the case.
The investigation was conducted by the Partners Against Narcotics Trafficking in cooperation with the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office, Prescott Valley Police Department, Prescott Police Department, Chino Valley Police Department, Yavapai and Maricopa County
Attorney’s Office and the Phoenix Police Department.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development