Four people are behind bars after numerous law enforcement agents worked together to bust an alleged cannabis candy drug syndicate.
According to a release, the syndicate was producing and selling candies and treats that included cannabis as an ingredient. The food items were sold on the Internet, through word-of-mouth deals and in select business in Prescott and Phoenix.
“Suckers, brownies, ice cream and other items,” said Dwight D’Evelyn with the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office. “It is illegal, currently, to sell these items for profit, even to a medical marijuana cardholder.”
Law enforcement discovered the syndicate after finding traces of the production of the candies in a Phoenix kitchen.
On Sept. 12 and Sept. 13, authorities served search warrants at 10 locations, both businesses and private homes, in Yavapai and Maricopa Counties. The warrants resulted in the arrests of four suspects and the seizure of over 20 pounds of marijuana, hundreds of products containing marijuana, some firearms, a few vehicles and about $70,000 in cash.
Chris Martin, one of the men arrested, was identified as the “chef” responsible for creating the contraband candies. He is facing numerous drug charges and is being held on $270,000 bail.
Two other suspects, Todd James and Christopher Goodrich, were charged with numerous drug charges and leading an organized crime operation.
The final suspect, Andrea Martin, faces two drug charges and was released on her own recognizance.
More charges and arrests are expected in the case.
The investigation was conducted by the Partners Against Narcotics Trafficking in cooperation with the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office, Prescott Valley Police Department, Prescott Police Department, Chino Valley Police Department, Yavapai and Maricopa County
Attorney’s Office and the Phoenix Police Department.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas