Four people are behind bars after numerous law enforcement agents worked together to bust an alleged cannabis candy drug syndicate.
According to a release, the syndicate was producing and selling candies and treats that included cannabis as an ingredient. The food items were sold on the Internet, through word-of-mouth deals and in select business in Prescott and Phoenix.
“Suckers, brownies, ice cream and other items,” said Dwight D’Evelyn with the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office. “It is illegal, currently, to sell these items for profit, even to a medical marijuana cardholder.”
Law enforcement discovered the syndicate after finding traces of the production of the candies in a Phoenix kitchen.
On Sept. 12 and Sept. 13, authorities served search warrants at 10 locations, both businesses and private homes, in Yavapai and Maricopa Counties. The warrants resulted in the arrests of four suspects and the seizure of over 20 pounds of marijuana, hundreds of products containing marijuana, some firearms, a few vehicles and about $70,000 in cash.
Chris Martin, one of the men arrested, was identified as the “chef” responsible for creating the contraband candies. He is facing numerous drug charges and is being held on $270,000 bail.
Two other suspects, Todd James and Christopher Goodrich, were charged with numerous drug charges and leading an organized crime operation.
The final suspect, Andrea Martin, faces two drug charges and was released on her own recognizance.
More charges and arrests are expected in the case.
The investigation was conducted by the Partners Against Narcotics Trafficking in cooperation with the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office, Prescott Valley Police Department, Prescott Police Department, Chino Valley Police Department, Yavapai and Maricopa County
Attorney’s Office and the Phoenix Police Department.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments