Four people are behind bars after numerous law enforcement agents worked together to bust an alleged cannabis candy drug syndicate.
According to a release, the syndicate was producing and selling candies and treats that included cannabis as an ingredient. The food items were sold on the Internet, through word-of-mouth deals and in select business in Prescott and Phoenix.
“Suckers, brownies, ice cream and other items,” said Dwight D’Evelyn with the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office. “It is illegal, currently, to sell these items for profit, even to a medical marijuana cardholder.”
Law enforcement discovered the syndicate after finding traces of the production of the candies in a Phoenix kitchen.
On Sept. 12 and Sept. 13, authorities served search warrants at 10 locations, both businesses and private homes, in Yavapai and Maricopa Counties. The warrants resulted in the arrests of four suspects and the seizure of over 20 pounds of marijuana, hundreds of products containing marijuana, some firearms, a few vehicles and about $70,000 in cash.
Chris Martin, one of the men arrested, was identified as the “chef” responsible for creating the contraband candies. He is facing numerous drug charges and is being held on $270,000 bail.
Two other suspects, Todd James and Christopher Goodrich, were charged with numerous drug charges and leading an organized crime operation.
The final suspect, Andrea Martin, faces two drug charges and was released on her own recognizance.
More charges and arrests are expected in the case.
The investigation was conducted by the Partners Against Narcotics Trafficking in cooperation with the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office, Prescott Valley Police Department, Prescott Police Department, Chino Valley Police Department, Yavapai and Maricopa County
Attorney’s Office and the Phoenix Police Department.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever