For pet lovers, the thought of losing your best pal in a fire is tragic.
Firefighters have always made efforts to save the lives of animals rescued from burning building with equipment designed for humans, but thanks to a generous donation made in memory of Hon. Gerald David Jutila of Mesa, every engine will now be equipped with Fido Bags.
“We’re excited to be able to add a little something where it can make a difference in somebody’s life, especially when you have a horrific situation happen,” said Mesa Fire Cpt. Forrest Smith.
The Fido Bags will let firefighters have quick access to pet oxygen masks, splints, specialized gloves and leashes, among other items. In addition, firefighters have had video training on how to help man’s best friend.
About 40,000 pets die every year from smoke inhalation as a result of fires, according to the Mesa Fire Department.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon