PHOENIX — Three New Mexico missiles created a spectacular predawn light show Thursday in the Valley.
Calls flooded the 92.3 KTAR Newsroom phone lines after the trail of fuel and smoke was lit up by the sunrise.
Drew Hamilton with the White Sands Base in New Mexico said a Juno missile was launched from Fort Wingate near Gallup toward White Sands and a pair of missiles brought it down.
“We were testing the Patriot Advanced Capability 3. The Juno was the target and they fired two Patriots from White Sands to successfully intercept it.”
Hamilton said the tests are infrequent.
Vandenburg Air Force Base, three hours north of Los Angeles, is also missile-testing Thursday, according to 2nd Lt. Kaylee Ausbun at that base.
An Atlas V is scheduled to launch 2:39 p.m. The missile may or may not be visible in the Valley.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them