PHOENIX — More parents are asking for exemptions from school vaccine requirements.
By law, parents can opt out of having their children immunized.
According to data provided by Arizona Department of Health Services, over the past 10 years, the number of parents choosing not to immunize their children has doubled.
About 3.4 percent of parents with a child in kindergarten have asked for personal exemptions. For sixth graders, the average is 4 percent. There are some counties that have exemption rates as high as 11 percent.
“The more people that go unvaccinated, the more likely we will have outbreaks, like measles,” said Dr. Karen Lewis, medical director for the Immunization Program Office at the AZDHS.
“Polio could come back. German measles could cause birth defects. All of these diseases are still circulating around in the world and are just a plane ride away from Arizona.”
Lewis said parents are fearful and blames misinformation that’s been circulating regarding reported links between autism and vaccines.
“Many people still believe [it] even though the scientific evidence shows that’s not the case,” said Lewis.
Lewis and other experts stress the importance of immunizations.
“Parents don’t see the diseases, but they see children with autism,” she said. “They say, ‘I’ll not get them vaccinated and be safer.’ The sad thing is, it makes it less safe for the child and makes it less safe for the community.”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets