A Glendale teacher who allegedly molested a young boy and attempted to lure another was arrested Sept. 7, the Phoenix Police Department said.
The suspect, identified as John Frank Todorich of Phoenix, is a physical education teacher at Arroyo Elementary School at the Washington Elementary School District. Todorich allegedly created a Facebook profile, including a false photo, that claimed he was a 16-year-old boy. Police say he then used that profile to contact a boy under the age of 15 and solicited him to engage in sexual acts.
The boy’s mother noticed the chats, which took place in May, and alerted police.
Todorich, 55, was involved in another molestation investigation in May of 2010, when he was accused of inappropriately touching a student in gym class. However, statements of witnesses and the alleged victim did not match.
“Phoenix police then followed up and they did not make an arrest,” said Carol Donaldson with the district. “They told us, in addition to not making an arrest, they did not have enough information to move forward.”
During this allegation, Todorich was teaching at Sweetwater School, according to Donaldson.
The Washington Elementary School District said it was alerted on Sept. 6 that Todorich was being investigated and placed him on leave on Sept. 7. The district immediately moved to alert parents. He was arrested on the evening of Sept. 7.
Court documents said Todorich admitted to creating the profile, but said he did not know the victim was a minor, despite records showing the victim specified his age at least two times.
Todorich was charged with one count of child molestation, stemming from the 2010 allegations, and two counts of luring a minor for sexual exploitation in 2011. He is being held without bail.
Todorich had worked for the district since 2005 and has worked for several schools in the district.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development