GLENDALE — More than 3,000 people who are looking for work are expected at a job fair Wednesday afternoon in Glendale.
Stores at the Tanger Outlet that will open in November near the Westgate City Center are looking to fill some 900 retail jobs.
Some 90 minutes before the doors opened at noon Wednesday, a spokeswoman for the mall estimated that 1,000 people were in line waiting to enter the job fair.
Robert Gonzales is hoping to find a job that’s a perfect fit for him. “I’m a very good social person,” he said.
“I feel like I could sell ice to an Eskimo, and I think this would be a perfect fit for me.”
Stephanie Hines just moved to Arizona after graduating from college in Iowa last May. Job hunting has been tough, she said.
“I couldn’t tell you how many jobs I’ve applied for, but I’ve had very interviews or few call backs,” said Hines. “It’s hard when you can’t get your foot in the door.”
She is looking for a job where she can build a career.
Not everyone who is applying is looking for a fulltime job.
“They have part time jobs in here,” said John Demeza. “I’m really good with people, so I figure I might as well come down here and apply.”
Sara Clawson also is looking for part-time work. “I have a full-time job currently but the holidays are coming up, so I’m looking for a little extra income.”
She is originally from Ohio, and is looking for extra money to fly home to spend the holidays with her family.
“A white Christmas is nicer than a palm tree Christmas,” she said.
The job fair ends at 7 tonight.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.