GLENDALE — More than 3,000 people who are looking for work are expected at a job fair Wednesday afternoon in Glendale.
Stores at the Tanger Outlet that will open in November near the Westgate City Center are looking to fill some 900 retail jobs.
Some 90 minutes before the doors opened at noon Wednesday, a spokeswoman for the mall estimated that 1,000 people were in line waiting to enter the job fair.
Robert Gonzales is hoping to find a job that’s a perfect fit for him. “I’m a very good social person,” he said.
“I feel like I could sell ice to an Eskimo, and I think this would be a perfect fit for me.”
Stephanie Hines just moved to Arizona after graduating from college in Iowa last May. Job hunting has been tough, she said.
“I couldn’t tell you how many jobs I’ve applied for, but I’ve had very interviews or few call backs,” said Hines. “It’s hard when you can’t get your foot in the door.”
She is looking for a job where she can build a career.
Not everyone who is applying is looking for a fulltime job.
“They have part time jobs in here,” said John Demeza. “I’m really good with people, so I figure I might as well come down here and apply.”
Sara Clawson also is looking for part-time work. “I have a full-time job currently but the holidays are coming up, so I’m looking for a little extra income.”
She is originally from Ohio, and is looking for extra money to fly home to spend the holidays with her family.
“A white Christmas is nicer than a palm tree Christmas,” she said.
The job fair ends at 7 tonight.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night