GLENDALE — More than 3,000 people who are looking for work are expected at a job fair Wednesday afternoon in Glendale.
Stores at the Tanger Outlet that will open in November near the Westgate City Center are looking to fill some 900 retail jobs.
Some 90 minutes before the doors opened at noon Wednesday, a spokeswoman for the mall estimated that 1,000 people were in line waiting to enter the job fair.
Robert Gonzales is hoping to find a job that’s a perfect fit for him. “I’m a very good social person,” he said.
“I feel like I could sell ice to an Eskimo, and I think this would be a perfect fit for me.”
Stephanie Hines just moved to Arizona after graduating from college in Iowa last May. Job hunting has been tough, she said.
“I couldn’t tell you how many jobs I’ve applied for, but I’ve had very interviews or few call backs,” said Hines. “It’s hard when you can’t get your foot in the door.”
She is looking for a job where she can build a career.
Not everyone who is applying is looking for a fulltime job.
“They have part time jobs in here,” said John Demeza. “I’m really good with people, so I figure I might as well come down here and apply.”
Sara Clawson also is looking for part-time work. “I have a full-time job currently but the holidays are coming up, so I’m looking for a little extra income.”
She is originally from Ohio, and is looking for extra money to fly home to spend the holidays with her family.
“A white Christmas is nicer than a palm tree Christmas,” she said.
The job fair ends at 7 tonight.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments