Former Quartzsite Police Chief Jeff Gilbert was informed Tuesday while on vacation that he was being terminated from his position, the city said in a release.
According to the certified letter sent to Gilbert, he was fired for multiple reasons, including gross negligence, insubordination, willful misconduct and poor attitude.
The letter alleged that Gilbert left his home numerous times during prohibited hours without permission while on administrative leave, failed to seek out further training and communicating with both officers who filed a complaint against him and the press.
The city also alleged that an employee performed thousands of needless and illegal searches on state systems and Gilbert either lied about being ignorant of the searches or was unaware of the search due to negligence.
A DPS investigation into Gilbert is unrelated to his dismissal, the city said.
Gilbert has 10 days to appeal his termination.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments