Former Quartzsite Police Chief Jeff Gilbert was informed Tuesday while on vacation that he was being terminated from his position, the city said in a release.
According to the certified letter sent to Gilbert, he was fired for multiple reasons, including gross negligence, insubordination, willful misconduct and poor attitude.
The letter alleged that Gilbert left his home numerous times during prohibited hours without permission while on administrative leave, failed to seek out further training and communicating with both officers who filed a complaint against him and the press.
The city also alleged that an employee performed thousands of needless and illegal searches on state systems and Gilbert either lied about being ignorant of the searches or was unaware of the search due to negligence.
A DPS investigation into Gilbert is unrelated to his dismissal, the city said.
Gilbert has 10 days to appeal his termination.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains