Former Quartzsite Police Chief Jeff Gilbert was informed Tuesday while on vacation that he was being terminated from his position, the city said in a release.
According to the certified letter sent to Gilbert, he was fired for multiple reasons, including gross negligence, insubordination, willful misconduct and poor attitude.
The letter alleged that Gilbert left his home numerous times during prohibited hours without permission while on administrative leave, failed to seek out further training and communicating with both officers who filed a complaint against him and the press.
The city also alleged that an employee performed thousands of needless and illegal searches on state systems and Gilbert either lied about being ignorant of the searches or was unaware of the search due to negligence.
A DPS investigation into Gilbert is unrelated to his dismissal, the city said.
Gilbert has 10 days to appeal his termination.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees