An oil tanker rollover crash closed State Route 87 on Tuesday.
“The truck was carrying oil which is used to mix with asphalt,” said Carrick Cook with the Arizona Department of Public Safety. “A significant amount of that spilled on the roadway, so there’s significant, significant delays.”
The closure, originally in effect from milepost 223 to 235 between Payson and Phoenix, was extended for northbound drivers from milepost 199 to milepost 235. The closure is expected to remain in place for a while as hazardous material crews work to clean the crash site and the surrounding area.
The southbound lane closure was lifted about 3:15 p.m.
“Both directions of traffic are closed and the closure is expected to remain for quite some time,” said Dustin Krugel with the Arizona Department of Transportation. “Crews are on the scene…trying to clean up the highway and remove the truck.”
Speed has not been discounted as a potential factor in the crash, but the driver only received minor injuries.
“The tanker was the only one who was involved in the crash,” said Cook. “It is believed he was speeding at the time of the crash.”
DPS said drivers heading to or from Payson should use Interstate 17 to SR 260 or US 60 to SR 88 then SR 188.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night