An oil tanker rollover crash closed State Route 87 on Tuesday.
“The truck was carrying oil which is used to mix with asphalt,” said Carrick Cook with the Arizona Department of Public Safety. “A significant amount of that spilled on the roadway, so there’s significant, significant delays.”
The closure, originally in effect from milepost 223 to 235 between Payson and Phoenix, was extended for northbound drivers from milepost 199 to milepost 235. The closure is expected to remain in place for a while as hazardous material crews work to clean the crash site and the surrounding area.
The southbound lane closure was lifted about 3:15 p.m.
“Both directions of traffic are closed and the closure is expected to remain for quite some time,” said Dustin Krugel with the Arizona Department of Transportation. “Crews are on the scene…trying to clean up the highway and remove the truck.”
Speed has not been discounted as a potential factor in the crash, but the driver only received minor injuries.
“The tanker was the only one who was involved in the crash,” said Cook. “It is believed he was speeding at the time of the crash.”
DPS said drivers heading to or from Payson should use Interstate 17 to SR 260 or US 60 to SR 88 then SR 188.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl