An oil tanker rollover crash closed State Route 87 on Tuesday.
“The truck was carrying oil which is used to mix with asphalt,” said Carrick Cook with the Arizona Department of Public Safety. “A significant amount of that spilled on the roadway, so there’s significant, significant delays.”
The closure, originally in effect from milepost 223 to 235 between Payson and Phoenix, was extended for northbound drivers from milepost 199 to milepost 235. The closure is expected to remain in place for a while as hazardous material crews work to clean the crash site and the surrounding area.
The southbound lane closure was lifted about 3:15 p.m.
“Both directions of traffic are closed and the closure is expected to remain for quite some time,” said Dustin Krugel with the Arizona Department of Transportation. “Crews are on the scene…trying to clean up the highway and remove the truck.”
Speed has not been discounted as a potential factor in the crash, but the driver only received minor injuries.
“The tanker was the only one who was involved in the crash,” said Cook. “It is believed he was speeding at the time of the crash.”
DPS said drivers heading to or from Payson should use Interstate 17 to SR 260 or US 60 to SR 88 then SR 188.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain