An oil tanker rollover crash closed State Route 87 on Tuesday.
“The truck was carrying oil which is used to mix with asphalt,” said Carrick Cook with the Arizona Department of Public Safety. “A significant amount of that spilled on the roadway, so there’s significant, significant delays.”
The closure, originally in effect from milepost 223 to 235 between Payson and Phoenix, was extended for northbound drivers from milepost 199 to milepost 235. The closure is expected to remain in place for a while as hazardous material crews work to clean the crash site and the surrounding area.
The southbound lane closure was lifted about 3:15 p.m.
“Both directions of traffic are closed and the closure is expected to remain for quite some time,” said Dustin Krugel with the Arizona Department of Transportation. “Crews are on the scene…trying to clean up the highway and remove the truck.”
Speed has not been discounted as a potential factor in the crash, but the driver only received minor injuries.
“The tanker was the only one who was involved in the crash,” said Cook. “It is believed he was speeding at the time of the crash.”
DPS said drivers heading to or from Payson should use Interstate 17 to SR 260 or US 60 to SR 88 then SR 188.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets