A man was rescued after driving into a flooded wash near Goodyear.
The man was stuck on top of a utility truck in the middle of a flooded wash at 155th Ave. and Riggs Rd.
While the man was driving, he miscalculated the severity of the conditions ahead of him.
“When he came across there, there were just a few mud puddles. So he went to get across there and said he just got stuck in the mud,” Goodyear Battalion Fire Chief Russ Braden said.
The situation was certainly hazardous, considering the water level.
“At one point, the water was about four feet deep up the side of the vehicle,” Phoenix Fire Cpt. Scott Walker told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos.
Goodyear, Phoenix, Avondale and Glendale assisted in the rescue that began at about 4:30 p.m. and took a little over two hours to complete.
Braden said rescuers have to assess any rescue immediately to keep everyone safe.
“At this point we don’t know if they’re good swimmers or not, if they’re afraid of the water,” Braden said. “We really don’t know. Sometimes with the rush of water, it’s hard to talk to them.”
The man was not treated for injuries.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night