MESA, Ariz. – A North Carolina couple who found out on Super Bowl Sunday that they were going to be a mom and dad are now the proud parents of quintuplets.
Within days of learning she was pregnant for the first time, Carmen Matthews said she was told that the doctor heard five little heartbeats.
“I’m excited about being a mom and feeding them and changing diapers,” she said. “It’s scary as well.”
Mike Matthews is a happy dad, but said the pregnancy and birth process tested the couple’s nerves.
“We were happy with twins,” he said. “We weren’t disappointed with five, but just scared.”
The quintuplets, three boys and two girls, weighed in at a collective 18 pounds and were delivered at Banner Desert Medical in Mesa, Ariz.
The couple said they believe they are done having children.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments