MESA, Ariz. – A North Carolina couple who found out on Super Bowl Sunday that they were going to be a mom and dad are now the proud parents of quintuplets.
Within days of learning she was pregnant for the first time, Carmen Matthews said she was told that the doctor heard five little heartbeats.
“I’m excited about being a mom and feeding them and changing diapers,” she said. “It’s scary as well.”
Mike Matthews is a happy dad, but said the pregnancy and birth process tested the couple’s nerves.
“We were happy with twins,” he said. “We weren’t disappointed with five, but just scared.”
The quintuplets, three boys and two girls, weighed in at a collective 18 pounds and were delivered at Banner Desert Medical in Mesa, Ariz.
The couple said they believe they are done having children.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon