MESA, Ariz. – A North Carolina couple who found out on Super Bowl Sunday that they were going to be a mom and dad are now the proud parents of quintuplets.
Within days of learning she was pregnant for the first time, Carmen Matthews said she was told that the doctor heard five little heartbeats.
“I’m excited about being a mom and feeding them and changing diapers,” she said. “It’s scary as well.”
Mike Matthews is a happy dad, but said the pregnancy and birth process tested the couple’s nerves.
“We were happy with twins,” he said. “We weren’t disappointed with five, but just scared.”
The quintuplets, three boys and two girls, weighed in at a collective 18 pounds and were delivered at Banner Desert Medical in Mesa, Ariz.
The couple said they believe they are done having children.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy