MESA, Ariz. – A North Carolina couple who found out on Super Bowl Sunday that they were going to be a mom and dad are now the proud parents of quintuplets.
Within days of learning she was pregnant for the first time, Carmen Matthews said she was told that the doctor heard five little heartbeats.
“I’m excited about being a mom and feeding them and changing diapers,” she said. “It’s scary as well.”
Mike Matthews is a happy dad, but said the pregnancy and birth process tested the couple’s nerves.
“We were happy with twins,” he said. “We weren’t disappointed with five, but just scared.”
The quintuplets, three boys and two girls, weighed in at a collective 18 pounds and were delivered at Banner Desert Medical in Mesa, Ariz.
The couple said they believe they are done having children.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever