PHOENIX — Local First Arizona and Junior Achievement of Arizona will officially launch a farmers market in Tempe on Tuesday evening to teach grade school students about the free-enterprise system.
At Junior Achievement’s Biz Town near Southern Avenue and Hardy Drive, students can learn how to run an economy for a day. Now a simulated farmers market has been added.
Ian Hamp with Junior Achievement said there’s a real connection between financial literacy and food literacy.
“We thought the farmers market would be a fun and unique way to introduce them to how to raise food and make good nutritional choices and what entreprenuership looks like,” Hamp said.
Harper’s Nurseries donated hundreds of packet of seeds that students can purchase with their “salaries” earned during their work at BizTown.
Students will learn everything from growing fruit trees to raising chickens to have fresh eggs every day.
Besides growing their own food, students will be able to sample granola packaged by the Southwest Autism Research and Resource Center.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier