PHOENIX — Local First Arizona and Junior Achievement of Arizona will officially launch a farmers market in Tempe on Tuesday evening to teach grade school students about the free-enterprise system.
At Junior Achievement’s Biz Town near Southern Avenue and Hardy Drive, students can learn how to run an economy for a day. Now a simulated farmers market has been added.
Ian Hamp with Junior Achievement said there’s a real connection between financial literacy and food literacy.
“We thought the farmers market would be a fun and unique way to introduce them to how to raise food and make good nutritional choices and what entreprenuership looks like,” Hamp said.
Harper’s Nurseries donated hundreds of packet of seeds that students can purchase with their “salaries” earned during their work at BizTown.
Students will learn everything from growing fruit trees to raising chickens to have fresh eggs every day.
Besides growing their own food, students will be able to sample granola packaged by the Southwest Autism Research and Resource Center.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick