GLENDALE, Ariz. – The proposed sales tax to help Glendale with its budget deficit and keep the Phoenix Coyotes at Jobing.com Arena is getting a lot of attention.
But one candidate for mayor is worried about how the city is facing another financial burden next year.
Glendale is facing a payment that’s due involving Camelback Ranch, the spring training baseball home of the Los Angeles Dodgers and Chicago White Sox.
“That’s the elephant in the room that no one is speaking about,” said Democratic candidate Manuel Cruz.
Cruz said the city will owe a payment of at least $13 million on that stadium next year.
“It’s a payment for debt service for the bond that they took out to build that facility,” he said.
No one knows how the cash-strapped city is going to pay it, but Cruz said one idea is being floated around.
“They’re going to try to do a lease-lease back to come up with some additional revenues to pay for those debt services,” he said. “It’s the city hall and the police station that they’re going to do the lease-lease back with in order to make up for the first year’s payment and some other programs that they want to fund.”
The Glendale Executive Committee proposed the idea to the Glendale City Council, which decided to postpone a vote on it. Cruz said that it is unclear whether the city council will vote on it this year, or leave it for the new city council to decide next year.
Cruz said he has another idea where Glendale would work with other partners to share the costs of the stadium. He wouldn’t elaborate on his plan, except to say that he thinks Glendale would “break even” on the stadium if he is elected and can put that plan into place.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon