GLENDALE, Ariz. – The proposed sales tax to help Glendale with its budget deficit and keep the Phoenix Coyotes at Jobing.com Arena is getting a lot of attention.
But one candidate for mayor is worried about how the city is facing another financial burden next year.
Glendale is facing a payment that’s due involving Camelback Ranch, the spring training baseball home of the Los Angeles Dodgers and Chicago White Sox.
“That’s the elephant in the room that no one is speaking about,” said Democratic candidate Manuel Cruz.
Cruz said the city will owe a payment of at least $13 million on that stadium next year.
“It’s a payment for debt service for the bond that they took out to build that facility,” he said.
No one knows how the cash-strapped city is going to pay it, but Cruz said one idea is being floated around.
“They’re going to try to do a lease-lease back to come up with some additional revenues to pay for those debt services,” he said. “It’s the city hall and the police station that they’re going to do the lease-lease back with in order to make up for the first year’s payment and some other programs that they want to fund.”
The Glendale Executive Committee proposed the idea to the Glendale City Council, which decided to postpone a vote on it. Cruz said that it is unclear whether the city council will vote on it this year, or leave it for the new city council to decide next year.
Cruz said he has another idea where Glendale would work with other partners to share the costs of the stadium. He wouldn’t elaborate on his plan, except to say that he thinks Glendale would “break even” on the stadium if he is elected and can put that plan into place.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America