PHOENIX – The Arizona Diamondbacks say they don’t know when Mark Grace will return to the broadcast booth.
Grace was placed on a leave of absence last week after he was arrested a second time on a DUI charge.
Diamondbacks President and CEO Derrick Hall said he learned of the arrest from Grace himself.
“Mark called me the night after, unfortunately, he was pulled over,” Hall said. “He had actually asked for some time off for some personal help, and I’m glad he did. It was a situation where we probably would have had taken action, maybe an indefinite suspension, until we see how the process plays out legally.”
Hall said that Grace regrets his actions that led to this unfortunate incident.
“Nobody feels worse than he does,” Hall said. “I’m just glad that everybody was safe, himself included, others included. We’ll just see how it plays out now after this.”
Hall said that with just 33 games remaining in the regular season, it’s possible that Grace may not return to the broadcasts this year.
Meanwhile, TV play-by-play voice Darron Sutton is still suspended.
“It remains the same, an indefinite suspension there,” Hall said.
When asked why Sutton was suspended, Hall said “It’s a personnel issue, and, because of that, we really can’t discuss it publicly. It wouldn’t be fair to him, and wouldn’t be fair to us.”
Hall said that he hopes Diamondback fans understand why the team has decided not to reveal why Sutton was suspended.
He said that Greg Schulte on television and Jeff Munn on Arizona Sports 620 have stepped up to the plate and done a great job amidst the broadcast booth turmoil.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night