PHOENIX – They came to protest what they call clothing inequality.
By going topless in Phoenix on Sunday, a group — consisting of both women and men — hoped to draw attention to laws banning women from baring their breasts, but not requiring men to the same.
Jenna Duffy, 27, organized the event in Phoenix after learning more about a Go Topless, U.S-based group behind the international movement for gender equality.
Duffy said women should have the same right that men do to be topless in public, adding that the movement is about freedom and she’d like to be able to go to the lake and swim topless without worrying about being ticketed for indecent exposure.
About three dozen people gathered at Steele Indian School Park on Sunday to participate in the topless protest. The protestors were a mix of males and females. Their signs and bare tops attracted dozens of spectators who snapped plenty of photos.
Duffy said Phoenix law requires women to cover their nipples and areolas, so protestors used duct tape in the shape of an “X” to signify censorship.
“Women should be able to wear what they want.” said Stella Sgro, 91, adding the fact that, when she was young, she was kicked out of church for wearing pants.
Go Topless Day was marked with similar events in about 25 other U.S. cities.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets