PHOENIX — Residents of the Woodbridge Apartments near 19th and Glendale avenues in Phoenix are looking to the city for help.
The rundown property is an eyesore and the living conditions are described as deplorable.
Resident Jerry Bradley claims that in a short period of time he’s had to deal with bedbugs, roaches and flooding.
Another resident, Thomas Mullins, said he can hear rats crawling in the walls and ceilings of his unit.
“I had sugar waffles sitting on my microwave in two plastic bags. They chewed through that and ate my food. Oh, yeah, they eat my food,” said Mullins.
Earlier this week the City of Phoenix Neighborhood Services obtained an administrative search warrant. Police and teams of Phoenix officials spent hours inspecting the property located at 6635 N. 19th Avenue.
“They found well over 300 violations per team,” said Officer James Holmes.
Holmes said that after they documented the findings, which include lack of running water and no air conditioning, some of the buildings are fit to be condemned.
“It’s absolutely horrible that we’re back to the slumlord issues of a few years ago,” said Holmes.
“A lot of the tenants are actually refugees and so what makes it difficult for us, even under those conditions, they are still better, than the conditions they may have left,” he added.
Police officials said they hope this will empower these refugees to speak with their sponsors and hopefully start a conversation about their tenant rights in America.
The Woodbridge Apartments Complex is owned by H.K. Realty and J.K. Residential. Attorneys for the owners have not been cooperating with the investigation, according to city officials.
“We wanted to identify health, safety and welfare violations, which we found, and documented all this information. Staff is going to meet with the prosecutors office to determine the next step,” said Stephanie Ribodal Romero, spokeswoman for the City of Phoenix.
Both police and city officials said if anyone is living in unhealthy, unsafe conditions tenants have rights. Find more information here.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon