PHOENIX — Residents of the Woodbridge Apartments near 19th and Glendale avenues in Phoenix are looking to the city for help.
The rundown property is an eyesore and the living conditions are described as deplorable.
Resident Jerry Bradley claims that in a short period of time he’s had to deal with bedbugs, roaches and flooding.
Another resident, Thomas Mullins, said he can hear rats crawling in the walls and ceilings of his unit.
“I had sugar waffles sitting on my microwave in two plastic bags. They chewed through that and ate my food. Oh, yeah, they eat my food,” said Mullins.
Earlier this week the City of Phoenix Neighborhood Services obtained an administrative search warrant. Police and teams of Phoenix officials spent hours inspecting the property located at 6635 N. 19th Avenue.
“They found well over 300 violations per team,” said Officer James Holmes.
Holmes said that after they documented the findings, which include lack of running water and no air conditioning, some of the buildings are fit to be condemned.
“It’s absolutely horrible that we’re back to the slumlord issues of a few years ago,” said Holmes.
“A lot of the tenants are actually refugees and so what makes it difficult for us, even under those conditions, they are still better, than the conditions they may have left,” he added.
Police officials said they hope this will empower these refugees to speak with their sponsors and hopefully start a conversation about their tenant rights in America.
The Woodbridge Apartments Complex is owned by H.K. Realty and J.K. Residential. Attorneys for the owners have not been cooperating with the investigation, according to city officials.
“We wanted to identify health, safety and welfare violations, which we found, and documented all this information. Staff is going to meet with the prosecutors office to determine the next step,” said Stephanie Ribodal Romero, spokeswoman for the City of Phoenix.
Both police and city officials said if anyone is living in unhealthy, unsafe conditions tenants have rights. Find more information here.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck