PHOENIX — An E. coli scare in San Tan Valley has residents upset with the way the utilities company handled notification.
Johnson Utilities informed residents early Wednesday that presence of the bacteria had been found in the water several days earlier. It recommended boiling tap water before drinking.
The company made the discovery Aug. 18 during routine sampling. Subsequent retesting produced negative results.
In a statement released in the afternoon, the company said, “The drinking water rules require a drinking water system to issue the warning if any resamples are positive for total coliform” but that the initial positive results were “believed to be false since they contradicted the results of our previous regular sampling.”
The statement went on to say that, “Water systems do get contaminated from time to time; however, in this case, we believe there never was any contamination.”
Customers remain agitated.
The school district had asked families to include bottled water with their children’s lunches.
Schools in the Florence school district were taking precautions as well.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas