PHOENIX — An E. coli scare in San Tan Valley has residents upset with the way the utilities company handled notification.
Johnson Utilities informed residents early Wednesday that presence of the bacteria had been found in the water several days earlier. It recommended boiling tap water before drinking.
The company made the discovery Aug. 18 during routine sampling. Subsequent retesting produced negative results.
In a statement released in the afternoon, the company said, “The drinking water rules require a drinking water system to issue the warning if any resamples are positive for total coliform” but that the initial positive results were “believed to be false since they contradicted the results of our previous regular sampling.”
The statement went on to say that, “Water systems do get contaminated from time to time; however, in this case, we believe there never was any contamination.”
Customers remain agitated.
The school district had asked families to include bottled water with their children’s lunches.
Schools in the Florence school district were taking precautions as well.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy