One Valley man gave his wife her wish and it’s paying off for the couple’s business.
Racha Mayta used to work for Chase Bank, but when she married Sam Alsadi, he told her she could stay home.
“I said, ‘OK fine, I’ll just kick it,'” said Mayta. “Then I got really, really bored in a short period of time … because my kids are grown.”
Mayta had always wanted to open her own deli, and came up with the idea for a deli that could be located in a corner of Alsadi’s Pump-N-Munch convenience store at 35th Avenue and Cactus Road. Alsadi rejected the idea because they would have to expand the building.
But Mayta wouldn’t give up.
“I made a business plan,” she said. “I said ‘Are we going to have the deli or no?’ And he said, ‘No, it’s too much work, we would have to expand.’ So I said, ‘OK, I have a business plan ready and I am going to go rent a spot.’ He looked at me and said ‘Whoa, she is serious.’ ”
When Alsadi finally agreed, the couple opened the Eat This! Deli and Grill in a corner of the store in 2010. When asked why he fought it so long, Alsadi joked that “I’m an old-timer. It takes me a while to change.”
The eatery has become a neighborhood favorite, especially with students from Moon Valley High School, which is across the street. The deli features fresh-made Philly cheesesteaks, hamburgers, catfish filets and more.
“The cheesesteaks are great, the gangster fries are great,” said customer Dan Kibbler. “It’s really good food.”
Things have gone so well for the couple that they have opened a second Eat This! inside a gas station and convenience store at 35th Avenue and Union Hills Drive.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night