One Valley man gave his wife her wish and it’s paying off for the couple’s business.
Racha Mayta used to work for Chase Bank, but when she married Sam Alsadi, he told her she could stay home.
“I said, ‘OK fine, I’ll just kick it,'” said Mayta. “Then I got really, really bored in a short period of time … because my kids are grown.”
Mayta had always wanted to open her own deli, and came up with the idea for a deli that could be located in a corner of Alsadi’s Pump-N-Munch convenience store at 35th Avenue and Cactus Road. Alsadi rejected the idea because they would have to expand the building.
But Mayta wouldn’t give up.
“I made a business plan,” she said. “I said ‘Are we going to have the deli or no?’ And he said, ‘No, it’s too much work, we would have to expand.’ So I said, ‘OK, I have a business plan ready and I am going to go rent a spot.’ He looked at me and said ‘Whoa, she is serious.’ ”
When Alsadi finally agreed, the couple opened the Eat This! Deli and Grill in a corner of the store in 2010. When asked why he fought it so long, Alsadi joked that “I’m an old-timer. It takes me a while to change.”
The eatery has become a neighborhood favorite, especially with students from Moon Valley High School, which is across the street. The deli features fresh-made Philly cheesesteaks, hamburgers, catfish filets and more.
“The cheesesteaks are great, the gangster fries are great,” said customer Dan Kibbler. “It’s really good food.”
Things have gone so well for the couple that they have opened a second Eat This! inside a gas station and convenience store at 35th Avenue and Union Hills Drive.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier