FOUNTAIN HILLS, Ariz. – Some Fountain Hills businesses are calling for more action from one of the Valley’s most famous landmarks.
For 15 minutes every hour between 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m., the fountain centerpiece of the town shoots water more than 300 feet into the air. The fountain has three pumps. If all three are activated, the water can go as high as 560 feet into the air, but to save money, only two pumps are used.
Business owners say that tourists who come to Fountain Hills to see the attraction are frustrated that they didn’t get there in time, and don’t want to stick around for the next show. The businessmen and women are suggesting that at least one pump be left on so that something is happening with the fountain, with the second and third pumps being used for a more spectacular show once an hour.
“I think that there’s a feeling that some businesses feel that even if one pump was running, it would show that it is the famous Fountain Hills fountain,” said Town Manager Ken Buchanan, adding that would cost far more than the $150,000 that the town has budgeted for the fountain.
Buchanan said the town is trying to come up with a solution.
“Currently, we’re working with the Fountain Hills Sanitary district with the potential of an intergovernmental agreement to operate the lake [that the fountain is in the middle of],” he said. “There’s some opportunities there.”
Buchanan said it could be several months before the town council decides what to do about the situation.
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match