PHOENIX — Valley realtors are keeping a close eye on a growing crime that involves a destructive flash mob in foreclosed homes.
It all starts with kids hooking up on social media, stocking up on Sharpie pens and wreaking havoc on foreclosed homes, but it goes beyond graffiti. The vandals smash the walls with sledgehammers, tear off doors and pour concrete in the toilets.
“Probably $30,000 to $40,000 in repairs,” said Germain Villenueve with Keller Williams Integrity First Realty. “You’re talking about having to redo drywall, cabinets being broken, appliances dented.”
And that is the destruction police see when they show up. Other times there is damage the naked eye can’t see.
“Some people put cement down the toilet and flush it,” said Villenueve. “It takes a wile to harden before it hits the main drain.”
Villenueve said he has not seen of any of these so-called Sharpie parties in the Valley, but he’s aware of what is happening elsewhere.
There have been at least six homes trashed in recent months in California. Teens have also wrecked homes in Texas, Florida and Utah.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever