PHOENIX — Valley realtors are keeping a close eye on a growing crime that involves a destructive flash mob in foreclosed homes.
It all starts with kids hooking up on social media, stocking up on Sharpie pens and wreaking havoc on foreclosed homes, but it goes beyond graffiti. The vandals smash the walls with sledgehammers, tear off doors and pour concrete in the toilets.
“Probably $30,000 to $40,000 in repairs,” said Germain Villenueve with Keller Williams Integrity First Realty. “You’re talking about having to redo drywall, cabinets being broken, appliances dented.”
And that is the destruction police see when they show up. Other times there is damage the naked eye can’t see.
“Some people put cement down the toilet and flush it,” said Villenueve. “It takes a wile to harden before it hits the main drain.”
Villenueve said he has not seen of any of these so-called Sharpie parties in the Valley, but he’s aware of what is happening elsewhere.
There have been at least six homes trashed in recent months in California. Teens have also wrecked homes in Texas, Florida and Utah.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick