PHOENIX — Valley realtors are keeping a close eye on a growing crime that involves a destructive flash mob in foreclosed homes.
It all starts with kids hooking up on social media, stocking up on Sharpie pens and wreaking havoc on foreclosed homes, but it goes beyond graffiti. The vandals smash the walls with sledgehammers, tear off doors and pour concrete in the toilets.
“Probably $30,000 to $40,000 in repairs,” said Germain Villenueve with Keller Williams Integrity First Realty. “You’re talking about having to redo drywall, cabinets being broken, appliances dented.”
And that is the destruction police see when they show up. Other times there is damage the naked eye can’t see.
“Some people put cement down the toilet and flush it,” said Villenueve. “It takes a wile to harden before it hits the main drain.”
Villenueve said he has not seen of any of these so-called Sharpie parties in the Valley, but he’s aware of what is happening elsewhere.
There have been at least six homes trashed in recent months in California. Teens have also wrecked homes in Texas, Florida and Utah.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas