SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Next Care Urgent Care said it has seen a 50 percent increase in patients complaining of upper-respiratory infections, which includes sore throats, coughing and other coldlike symptoms.
Next Care physician assistant Travis Turk said air pollution and ozone are especially problematic for people with asthma, allergies and COPD. He said in most cases the upper-respiratory problems can be treated with over-the-counter medications but other cases require a visit to the doctor.
“If the person is having trouble breathing, has a high fever or a cough they can’t control, then it’s certainly warranted to follow up with your doctor or see an urgent care.”
Whether air quality is the cause of upper-respiratory infections or not is a point of debate.
“That has been a hot button issue and the pollutants in the air can certainly exacerbate the symptoms but it is the cause? Possible.”
Turk said the upper-respiratory infections are taking about a week to 10 days to run their course.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development