SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Next Care Urgent Care said it has seen a 50 percent increase in patients complaining of upper-respiratory infections, which includes sore throats, coughing and other coldlike symptoms.
Next Care physician assistant Travis Turk said air pollution and ozone are especially problematic for people with asthma, allergies and COPD. He said in most cases the upper-respiratory problems can be treated with over-the-counter medications but other cases require a visit to the doctor.
“If the person is having trouble breathing, has a high fever or a cough they can’t control, then it’s certainly warranted to follow up with your doctor or see an urgent care.”
Whether air quality is the cause of upper-respiratory infections or not is a point of debate.
“That has been a hot button issue and the pollutants in the air can certainly exacerbate the symptoms but it is the cause? Possible.”
Turk said the upper-respiratory infections are taking about a week to 10 days to run their course.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains