An 11-year-old Tucson girl is garnering a ton of attention. Haile Thomas is smart, articulate and she can really cook.
Thomas, 11, has been picked to represent Arizona at a State Dinner with the first lady for winning epicurious.com’s Healthy Lunchtime Challenge.
Her winning recipe — all are available for download at the site — is Quinoa, Black Bean and Corn Salad.
“I make a lot of different things really good, but this salad and shrimp lettuce wrap are my favorite and my specialties. I can pretty much make anything,” Thomas said.
Thomas is a staunch advocate against childhood obesity and her dedication has given her the chance to meet Michelle Obama two other times.
She does admit she is excited to meet the other children who also won an opportunity to participate in the dinner.
During down time, Thomas keeps herself busy by creating fun, fresh and healthy recipes for kids. She also is actively working with Hyatt Hotels to help develop a Healthy Kids menu.
Thomas also has an online cooking show and started the Healthy Girl Adventures Club. The club is also on Facebook.
“I don’t think I’d like to run a restaurant when I grow up. I think I’d like to have my own cooking show on TV,” she said.
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates