An 11-year-old Tucson girl is garnering a ton of attention. Haile Thomas is smart, articulate and she can really cook.
Thomas, 11, has been picked to represent Arizona at a State Dinner with the first lady for winning epicurious.com’s Healthy Lunchtime Challenge.
Her winning recipe — all are available for download at the site — is Quinoa, Black Bean and Corn Salad.
“I make a lot of different things really good, but this salad and shrimp lettuce wrap are my favorite and my specialties. I can pretty much make anything,” Thomas said.
Thomas is a staunch advocate against childhood obesity and her dedication has given her the chance to meet Michelle Obama two other times.
She does admit she is excited to meet the other children who also won an opportunity to participate in the dinner.
During down time, Thomas keeps herself busy by creating fun, fresh and healthy recipes for kids. She also is actively working with Hyatt Hotels to help develop a Healthy Kids menu.
Thomas also has an online cooking show and started the Healthy Girl Adventures Club. The club is also on Facebook.
“I don’t think I’d like to run a restaurant when I grow up. I think I’d like to have my own cooking show on TV,” she said.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development