An 11-year-old Tucson girl is garnering a ton of attention. Haile Thomas is smart, articulate and she can really cook.
Thomas, 11, has been picked to represent Arizona at a State Dinner with the first lady for winning epicurious.com’s Healthy Lunchtime Challenge.
Her winning recipe — all are available for download at the site — is Quinoa, Black Bean and Corn Salad.
“I make a lot of different things really good, but this salad and shrimp lettuce wrap are my favorite and my specialties. I can pretty much make anything,” Thomas said.
Thomas is a staunch advocate against childhood obesity and her dedication has given her the chance to meet Michelle Obama two other times.
She does admit she is excited to meet the other children who also won an opportunity to participate in the dinner.
During down time, Thomas keeps herself busy by creating fun, fresh and healthy recipes for kids. She also is actively working with Hyatt Hotels to help develop a Healthy Kids menu.
Thomas also has an online cooking show and started the Healthy Girl Adventures Club. The club is also on Facebook.
“I don’t think I’d like to run a restaurant when I grow up. I think I’d like to have my own cooking show on TV,” she said.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier