An 11-year-old Tucson girl is garnering a ton of attention. Haile Thomas is smart, articulate and she can really cook.
Thomas, 11, has been picked to represent Arizona at a State Dinner with the first lady for winning epicurious.com’s Healthy Lunchtime Challenge.
Her winning recipe — all are available for download at the site — is Quinoa, Black Bean and Corn Salad.
“I make a lot of different things really good, but this salad and shrimp lettuce wrap are my favorite and my specialties. I can pretty much make anything,” Thomas said.
Thomas is a staunch advocate against childhood obesity and her dedication has given her the chance to meet Michelle Obama two other times.
She does admit she is excited to meet the other children who also won an opportunity to participate in the dinner.
During down time, Thomas keeps herself busy by creating fun, fresh and healthy recipes for kids. She also is actively working with Hyatt Hotels to help develop a Healthy Kids menu.
Thomas also has an online cooking show and started the Healthy Girl Adventures Club. The club is also on Facebook.
“I don’t think I’d like to run a restaurant when I grow up. I think I’d like to have my own cooking show on TV,” she said.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever