For school-aged kids, getting back into the swing of things can be a challenge.
Easier said than done, but sticking to a daily routine can give your child an edge when it comes to excelling in school and life.
“When kids have consistency and routine and they can predict what’s going to happen, they feel more secure and they’re more successful,” Michelle Cardini, co-founder of the non-profit MASK, Mothers Awareness on School-Aged Kids said.
Whether it’s a morning or afternoon schedule, address the possibility that it might need some tweaking, “talking as a family together, trying to figure out ways you can improve it to make it a little smoother — what worked last year, what didn’t work. Maybe adjusting it a little bit,” Cardini said.
Some of her suggestions for getting children on a workable schedule include designating a time and place for study, having them fill out a to-do list, encouraging them to keep their supplies, clothing, equipment and personal belongings organized.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night